SC21 asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

feminists and others say rape is about power and control and not sex but is it really?

Because if I had to rape someone I'd prefer she was attractive.

anonymous- you psycho I would never rape someone. I said if I HAD to I would prefer she was pretty. READ!

But I can see how that comment came off. I'll change it to "If I was forced with a gun to rape someone then I'd want her to be attractive."

Be careful who you decide to rape. She may just have the right weapon to slice your dick off clean. You try to put it in - but there's nothing left.

rape is just one tactic men 'can' use to exercise, demonstrate power. it is always readily available.

women do not generally utilize their power using this approach.

the sex part is about the low (or high) self image of the rapist.

tmm

• John P

Certainly when rape, often gang rape, is used as a weapon of war, the reasons are complex, and some of it is about saying "Your menfolk must be feeble, because they cannot protect you."

There is also the fact than in that sort of society, females are expected to be virgins when they marry, thus the raped girls become unmarriageable.  And any babies born as a result of those rapes are outcasts because they carry the stigma of being half 'other'.

When? Most recently in the nasty civil wars in former Yugoslavia in south eastern Europe in the early 1990s.  Less than 30 years ago.

Also many times in past conflicts in earlier centuries.

Rape is always about Power 

seduction is all about sex i prefer seduction it is funand women agree with me

Rape is a form of violence, ie having sex with someone by force is what turns a rapist on sexually.  Many supposedly heterosexual rapists, also rape same gendered people.  Raping someone is the ultimate control and a way of degrading another person or humiliating them.

I believe that convicted rapists should be castrated or if female have their ovaries removed as both of these procedures would take away the rapist sexual urges.

There's a bit of a difference between "date rape" and the kind where a stranger puts a knife to your throat in a dark parking lot. But even still, a guy on a date who gets hot and bothered and becomes angry when she says no is still performing an act of violence meant to show her his power if he goes ahead and rapes her. Men who don't feel the need to impress their power and control on a date would just go home and never call that woman for another date. Rape, along with other acts of violence, is related to impulse control disorders. 

OP has more discriminating tastes than some, though he should bear in mind no one thinks the same way.

I'm a dude, and even I can admit that some cases of rape don't seem to be about sex, but power and control. Not everyone cares "if she was attractive/fertile/etc," if that was the case, why are elderly women and prepubescent kids even on their radar for most rapists? It's because those groups are some of the most vulnerable, so men (and occasionally women) can more easily exercise control and domination over them, not because "they're physically attractive" or "fertile" or whatever (I mean, if wrinkles, white hair, waifish builds, and/or flat chests are your thing, that's a you issue).

Hell, I know several rape victims. One is overweight and probably not OP's idea of "attractive," but she's been raped twice by different parties, and another was middle-aged and not exactly a MILF by any means. I doubt their rapists were thinking "they're hot, imma f*ck them."

"feminists and others say rape is about power and control and not sex but is it really?"

No.  Rape is not just about power. By sheer definition, it is a crime of SEX and not a crime of power or anything else.

This correct idea about rape was always understood as reality until a feminist made up this "power" connection out of thin air for her book. Check this out:

The Myth that Rape is About Power

https://difficultrun.nathanielgivens.com/2014/09/0...

“The original source of the idea that sexual assault is about violence and power instead of sex or lust doesn’t come from a scientist or an academic study. It comes from a feminist writer named Susan Brownmiller who invented the theory pretty much from scratch for her 1975 book Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape.”

“…an actual scientist stepped in with a direct rebuttal just four years later, in 1979. The book was called The Evolution of Human Sexuality and it was written by the anthropologist Donald Symons. It is no coincidence that Symons wrote from a scientific rather than a political perspective, and his book was widely heralded by some of the greatest social scientists of the 20th century,”

Understanding this reality, as opposed to trying to disprove dogmatic feminist ideology is probably more fruitful. One could spend a lifetime tryint to refute dogma and deceptive ideology. I say it's time for feminists to properly prove their assertions first rather than react to so much infantile rubbish.

.

• Bill

The most obnoxious and absurd lie about rape is the claim that straight men are the most likely to rape other men. Every sexual orientation demographic almost always rapes within their sexual orientation more than 90% of the time, but for some reason people want to claim that straight men don't follow this pattern. Yeah, I call bullsh*it. 

Anyway, the motivation for rape depends. Sometimes rape is about power and other times it's about something else. I think feminists think rape is about power and only power because women commonly rape others to feel powerful. 

• Rick

yep, it is ...........................................