What do I say to the question why do I want to leave my job?

I have an interview tomorrow and the reason why I want to leave is because I'm only getting 20 hours per week which this job I'm going for in contracted but also because the management but if I say that it doesn't sound appropriate so not sure what to say.

Just say you’re looking to expand your experience if you’re going for some other profession or if it’s the same that you’re looking for a better working environment.

Some reasons for leaving a job include: 

- Desire to learn. 

- Desire to relocate. 

- Desire for a career change. 

- Desire to gain a new skill or grow a current skill. 

- Desire for a shorter commute to work. 

- Desire to improve work/life balance.

just say you looking for growth

You simply say you want more hours than your current job can give you. Don't mention problems with management. It's a very valid reason for leaving any job. You need more hours. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.

Tell them the government told you to start your own business so you're going out to the backyard to shake a million dollars and some usable skills off the money skillz tree of unrealistic expectations.

Source(s): That's what I tell 'em all the time...

Tell them you want more hours, nicely

"I want more hours than my current job is giving me."

Looking for more opportunities, gain more and make use of my skills, and expand my experiences are the usual acceptable answers.

• Fin

So you want to go to full time, correct?

Don't bad mouth your current employer.  Say something along the lines of, "I really like my co-workers but I need full time hours.  It's not financially feasible for me to stay part time."

• Eva

Never bad mouth your current employer to your prospective employer.  Normally you would use the lack of hours reason, but if it's the same number of hours at the new job, you can't very well use that reason. "Looking for a new opportunity" or "wanting a position that will better use your skills" is usually a good fall-back reason. I don't understand the employment system you have.  Why does everyone seem to work so few hours?  How do you survive?