Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 4 weeks ago

Is it weird if a 23 year old like me rewatches old cartoons?

Im stressed bummed out and depressed. Im working already and earning. I love what Im doing but this online work and fear of me not doing it properly is bumming me out. I want to be a kid again. I miss watching Cow and Chicken, Jimmy Neutron, Rocko's modern life, Old Spongebob, the Golden Age of Simpsons and others. I haven't even watched other 90s popular tv shows like Gargoyles and Animaniacs but my best friend said those were the best. Would you guys judge me and call me weird if I rewatch old cartoons like 90s simpsons and start watching Animaniacs? 

No.  Nostalgia is a strong emotion, and that alone makes it not weird.  But also, at least some of those cartoons are deliberately aimed at working on multiple levels - they work for kids, but also have a subtler layer for adults.  

At 23, you're barely an adult.  I'll bet you will pick up some things you missed when you were a kid, though you'll probably still have somewhat of an eye of a child and will miss some things as well.  Simpsons in particular had a lot of satire that poked fun at the sitcoms and culture of it's era.  Because you're so young, those jokes will probably go right by you...whereas those of us from that era laughed hardest at those gags.

Here's the thing though, don't let this become a pattern.  Rewatching something you loved is not bad.  But rewatching it over and over IS bad.  If you come back to an old favorite every 5-10 years, no biggie.  If you start obsessively rewatching, that's not.

Can I also take a second to laugh at the 23 year old who said "Im working ALREADY and earning." [emphasis added]?  It drives the rest of us crazy that your generation considers having a job at 23 to be unusual.  I had a job at 15.  It would have been earlier but state laws forbade it.  It was a part time job while I pursued education, but I've been continually employed (more or less) since then.  That's how it's supposed to be.  If you're one of the few of your generation with a work ethic, prepare to be appalled and shocked at your peers as you get older and see the level of laziness and entitlement that has been bred into them.  

Sorry, old guy out!

It's normal.

I want a new serie of Jimmy Neutron.

Not at all dude. Nostalgia is a great way to cope with daily stresses.

• Nick

yeah, there are too many great cartoons you haven't seen yet to be rewatching cartoons.

• Kathy

I do not think it is weird.

Nope. As long as you enjoy what you do, I guess there's nothing wierd about it. 

No. Nostalgia is a popular way of combating stress. 

• yay

I can't judge anyone for enjoying classic Simpsons. That was television at it's finest. And I remember really liking Animaniacs. It was a lot more clever than the usual fare aimed at kids. So, yeah, enjoy your cartoons. There's nothing wrong with still appreciating them.