How does giant octopus taste?

Is it meaty like fish or lobster or fatty?

• Alpha

They are not tasty. Animals like the octopus continue to grow in size until they die.  This means to reach the size people would consider "giant" they would have to live a long time and this makes their meat very tough.  When you consider that a small octopus can be a little tough to chew imagine how tough a really old one would be.  It would be like chewing on a tire.

grainy and fat. tough as well.

Octopus is chewy.  Both raw and cooked.  It's texture is very similar to calamari.

That depends on how it's prepared. The texture is like lobster but the taste is more like calmari.

• John

Done properly it has a very mild flavor. The usual way, the way I've cooked it also, is to braise or poach it for a couple of hours in a broth. That cooks it through and also makes it very tender. Then typically it is broiled to give it some flavor. Often it gets some oil and vinegar and herbs treatment on top of that. Because it has a very mild flavor. It needs some boost to make it taste like something.

I like most seafood, but I find octopus too chewy. I quite like squid [often sold as 'calamari', though, a close relative of octopus.

It would probably taste like small octopus...

• kswck2

Octopus is certainly an acquired taste. For me, i just can't get past the suckers and the mouthfeel.