Scott
Scott asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 4 weeks ago

What handgun would you recommend for a 20 year old university student who plans to be a police officer?

My son has never fired a handgun in his life. And I was thinking that when he goes to the police academy, he’s going to look like a total newbie when it comes to the firearms training. So I suggested that he purchase a handgun and get a membership & class at the local gun range, so he can at least have some basic familiarity with how handguns work.

I googled it and it seems like the SIG Sauer P226 is sometimes recommended.   If this question seems stupid or uninformed, keep in mind that my family and I know absolutely nothing about handguns.

First he needs to know the law.   You should not be the one teaching it to him because you do not know it either.   A person under 21 can not legally buy a handgun from a licensed dealer so right there he could get into trouble.   He needs to go to a gun store and find out where a range is that can rent him a gun so he can try them out before spending money on one.  

Glock 19 W/ A LOT ROUNDS. Just make sure you buy the right kind of 9mm ammo, it should be 9mm luger, 9x19, or 9mm nato specification. Also you should not buy or shoot any overpressure ammo unless it is specifically stated it is safe to do so in the firearm manual.

they will lend him a gun......  

• pmt853

That depends on which police force he hopes to join and in which country. There are still a few countires whose police are not armed with firearms unless they have been specially trained and are in armed units.

At this time he needs no firearm training as the police academy teaches many recruits with little or no or no firearm experience.

In fact, many departments would rather teach a trainee with no experience as some shooters have previously acquired bad habits.

Talk to a few cops. I know...according to BLM, all cops will shoot you if you try to talk to them, but they wont. Most cops enjoy talking about their choice of weapons. See what they say, and why, then go from there. Congrats on having a "good kid".

• garry

.22 auto , idiot proof and does little damage . after all your only 20 .cant do too much damage with a .22  .

he'll be issued one and trained. 

probably a smith and wesson police special snubnose .32. Although I have read some precients can carry .38s now.

as a university student you might want to buy him billie and billie lessons. or maybe judo, I've heard some police officers like judo.

guns?

hes not joining the army.

Smith & Wesson Model 29  

You might want to contact local gun ranges and see if they offer handgun safety courses where guns can be rented.  

Rather than buying a particular gun and hoping he learns how to use it, it would probably be better for him to learn the the basics first in an environment that will let him become familiar with different types of handguns.