If I bought a car about a week and a half ago, can I sell it if the back of the title is blank and I have a bill of sale?

So, it is corona time right now. I live in Hawaii, which is under mandatory lockdown/quarantine for 28 days. I bought a car a week and a half ago and fixed all of the problems, but I'm spending way more money than I can afford in general, especially with unemployment not coming through. Anyway, I decided to sell the car. The original owner signed the title to me, but I never signed the back of it. I have the bill of sale between me and the original owner. Anyway, the back of the title was never signed by me. I sold the car to someone for more money than I bought it, since I had fixed the problems and added new tires. Anyway, they are telling me that I legally can't sell the vehicle because the title is not in my name yet, even though I have a bill of sale as proof of purchase of the vehicle from the original owner. I called the Hawaii DMV on my island and was told over the phone that as long as I haven't signed the back of the title, that I can give the title to someone else to sign and they can bring it in to get the title in their name. The person who bought the car is saying if this isn't resolved, she will press legal action because she has a "family emergency" where she needs to get rid of the car, but it's not in her name. I sold it on Friday and now it's Wednesday. The DMV said it was alright, but the buyer is saying that it isn't true. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here because I don't know if she damaged the car in any way.

I did talk to the DMV who told me as long as I did not sign the back of the title, that I could give it to someone else to sign and get a title in their name. I know my friend sells cars and one person came with a lawyer and the lawyer said they couldn't do anything about it.

Title "jumping" is illegal.  You need to get the title in your name then sell it!

Title flipping is illegal in most states.

Not legally. And the DMV was wrong.  But, that kind of thing happens fairly regularly.  Nobody has went to jail over title jumping.  

• Scott

Not legally. You have to get the car titled in your name before you can sell it. Otherwise, it's an illegal transaction.

You didn't put the title in your name = title jumping is illegal.😉