Jim asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Proper way to freeze Salmon Steaks?

proper way to freeze salmon steaks

• JOHN B

Place in intact (check for leaks) zip-lok, and cover with water for long term storage.

• IvaB

The ideal way would be to use a vacumn sealer. I say ideal because it is the best ,but most folks (including myself) don't have one in their kitchen. : (   I suppose I'd wrap the steaks in freezer paper,then put that into a heavy duty re-sealable plastic bag, just make sure to get as much air out of the bag as posssible before sealing it shut.I just noticed other posters have already given similar advice,so there is agreement. 

I wrap individual pieces of fish or other meats in plastic and make sure it is sealed tight then I place the individually wrapped in a Freezer Zip Top bag. 

• kswck2

Wrap tightly in freezer paper or butchers paper. If you have a cryovac, use that too. If not just squeeze all the air out of a zip lock bag. 

• geezer

Individually .. it 'zip-lock' freezer bags with any 'excess' air squeezed out as you seal it .. and then ALWAYS write the date you froze them on the bag !

• Number one choice is a vacuum sealer. Most people don't have one of those, so you can use a ziplock bag and either suck all the air out as you seal it, or slowly lower it into a pot of water to push the air out (dispersion) before sealing. Then - wrap tightly in freezer paper. 

There's also a crazy method of ice glazing where you dip the fish in water, freeze it on a pan, dip it in water, freeze it on a pan, etc. to build up an ice shell. Then seal in one of the above methods. I'm not sure that this is actually any better than Ted's freezing method, but it will take up less space. 

• ted

Place fresh salmon portions in a milk carton (or heavy duty freezer bag), fill with water, seal so the container is air-tight, and then freeze.

Put them in a Ziplock freezer bag.