It's the Sun, it's about the same size as the moon?

This is in OR a few weeks ago, the smoke is so thick you can look right at the Sun..... I thought it was the moon until the smoke cleared...... It's proof, seen it with my own eyes and documented it for your enjoyment...... Sun and moon, even earth are about the same size??? Thoughts?

I have another pic of the moon that will not post, looks like it is twice the size of the moon

Note: the light is the same so the sun is alot closer than we thought also

People alone with animals like cats have the ability to judge distance..... Prey animals like analop don't, they see Son thing that could be one foot away or one hundred miles and the antelope can't judge the distance..... I have seen the Sun with my own eyes.... The text books are wrong.

He might have a point.  size versus distance...maybe that the sun and moon seem to be the same size is important, either for finding other planets with life or in another more..engergy flowing kind of way...spirtual!

• Bill-M

When comparing the size of objects you have to take in consideration the DISTANCE from the observer.   The Sun is much further away from the Earth than the Moon is.

What is Larger -  A VW Beetle or a large Semi Truck??   If they are parked next to each other the same distance from the observer the Truck is larger.  However if you move the truck down the road two miles then the VW looks bigger.

• John P

The angular size of the Sun and the Moon, as seen from  Earth, are, by coincidence, very similar, which is why eclipses of the Sun, and especially of the Moon, are such wonderful events.

• D g

I hold up my thumb I block out the sun I guess that means my thumb is the same size as the sun proof positive

• cosmo

The Sun and Moon are always about half a degree across, sometimes one is a little larger and sometimes the other --- hence total and annular solar eclipses.  But the Sun is 400 times further away than the Moon, so the physical diameter is 400 times greater.

According to the angles of the sun and the moon appeared to earth they are as if having the same size of around 0.5 degree , while the sun is larger in size compare to the earth around 114 times and the moon smaller than the earth 6 times.

It is just a coincidence that the two look the same size. The Sun's diameter is 1.3927 million km. The Moon's is only 3,474.2 km.  They look the same size because the Sun is 150 million kilometres away and the Moon just 384,400 km.

We always think the Sun and the Moon look much bigger when they are near the horizon, particularly when there are tall buildings and trees.  See the information about the Ponzo Illusion in the link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzo_illusion#:~:te...

No... actually, the moon is about 400 times smaller than the sun - but, it's about 400 times closer, so they appear (from Earth) to be about the same size. 

The sun appears about the same size as the moon which is why solar eclipses are possible.

I don't see a question in your post anywhere.  Yahoo is about information-seeking, not sharing photos (that's what Facebook is for).

Have you ever considered that distance might be involved? Thoughts?

No thinking required, obviously.