I bought a product key that is fake. How do I uninstall windows 7?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Not sure if this is the answer your looking for but just so you know, Windows 10 can be downloaded for free and doesnt require you to register it. 

I have 3 computers with Windows 10 installed and not registered. They been good for about a year now, the only thing I cant do is change my theme prefrences. Other than that it runs like a champ. 

• 4 weeks ago

The OS only reports you that the serial number you got is an illegal one and blacklisted. Does not mean you need to completely reinstall Windows. You only need to find/buy another key that will work on your system and enter that. How far did you came with the installation? Did you even make it to desktop?

• 4 weeks ago

If Windows 7 was installed from scratch (i.e. not upgrading from older windows) then your only option is to start over with your OS of choice.

Windows is not an app you can simply uninstall. It's an operating system.

• 4 weeks ago

Windows (7 or any version) is an OS.  Meaning it is the software that determines how your computer runs and it runs all other programs inside of it.  Because it is what would uninstall programs, it can not uninstall itself.  If it tried to do that, at some point part way through the process it would crash because it is deleting itself.  (Think of it like this, you can pick up other objects, but you can not pick up yourself.  Windows can delete other programs but it can not delete itself.)

I am not sure what you mean by "uninstall Windows 7."  If you have a previous version of Windows on the computer and you installed Win 7 over it, you can not go back to the old program.

If you installed it on a PC that did not have version of Windows, then rerun the disk you used to install Windows.  When it gets to the point where it wants to know where to install Windows delete the partition on the hard drive that has the Windows 7 in it.  At that point Windows 7 will be gone.  But your computer will also be unusable after that until you install Windows or a different OS (like Linux) on it. 

Windows 7 will run without a key.  It will just complain from time to time that it wants and key.  And it will be unable to update itself  without a key.  But Microsoft stopped all updates for Win 7 over tow years ago.  So that is not really an issue.

Also if you have Win 7 install, you can go to Microsoft.com and download the free Media Creator program.  Run that and it will convert your Win 7 to Win 10 and you will not need to install the win 7.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Unfortunately, sir, you can't.  What you need to do iis format your hard disk drive.

Before you do that, however, make sure that you back everything up that you need to keep as formatting your hard drivw WILL delete everything on there.

• 4 weeks ago

I'm afraid you cannot.  Win 7 is a complete OS, not an app or program, which can be 'uninstalled.'  You will need to format and reinstall a new OS. 

Now, that said, Were you able to totally install Windows 7?  Or did you discover the error during the install?  If you discovered the error during the install, Windows was not installed, and what ever is already on your computer will still work.  If you installed Win 7 and then discovered that the key was bogus, Windows 7 will work and continue to work even with the bad key.  You just won't get any updates until you add a good key.  

• David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Normally windows 7 overwrites the older operating system to it cannot be uninstalled.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.