ugly asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Why is a 90 pound dog considered large ?

• TB12

I have a catahoula/pointer mix that weighed in at 95 lbs at his last trip to the vet,,,, and it ain't fat,,,,, trust me when I tell you,,, he's a big dog.

What a dumb question.  Because it's too heavy to be small or medium and too small to be giant. 

Dogs have a HUGE range in sizes so small, medium, large and giant all have a weight range.

Because a 2 lb dog is considered small chump

Because it is LARGE.   Have you tried lifting 90 pounds recently?

Because most dogs are nowhere near 90 lbs and if one that is comes flying at you and lands on you, you'll KNOW it's LARGE.

Mine is 57 lbs and if she takes flight and lands on me, I have bruises to show for it (I've been on the receiving end of that.  The bruises are mostly healed but still visible) 

Most dogs are 40 lbs (considered 'medium' in size) or smaller, and those that are bigger are classified as either large or extra large.  Most dogs weighing more than 40/45/50 lbs are considered 'large' and that classification can be used for anything from drug prescription (or recommendation) to housing discrimination.

The classification is arbitrary, really.  Some landlords, for example, will allow dogs under 35 or 40 lbs.  And that's just a politically-correct way of banning pit bulls, most (but not all) of which weigh more than 40 lbs.

There is no universally-accepted standard of determination for what classifies a dog as small, medium, large, or extra-large.  Most consider a 40 lb dog to be 'medium' and anything over that to be large or extra-large.

• Dave

Because I have 2 Shih Tzu's that weigh a total of 30 lbs.

• Darla

Because a dog of that weight would be heavy if it jumped on a human. Compared to a Chihuahua they are large dogs. They need large size kennels too. Large size dog sweaters. Large size collars and leashes. 

When is the last time you lifted 90 pounds of squirming, stinky dog? Ninety pounds of dog is a lot of dog. 

Perfect size lap dog!