?
? asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 4 months ago

Are the failure of the U.S. to deal with COVID and the rejection of climate change harbingers of the decline of American science?

As of today, over 200,000 Americans have died from COVID, while South Korea has had less than 400 deaths. In addition, the U.S. is the only major country in the world to reject the science of climate change. Even before the pandemic, far fewer foreign students were entering grad school in the United States, and now that's shut down almost completely. Is this the beginning of the end of U.S. dominance in science and technology, which has driven the economic engine of the country?

Anonymous--I don't watch CNN and certainly not Wolf Blitzer--I pay attention to science.

Kerri, the Korean War started 70 years ago, South Korea has advanced tremendously since then. Pretending that somehow they're off by what, a factor of 100 or 1000 in the death count is ludicrous. You also fail to understand is that the vast majority of those other 95 percent would be alive today. Just take a look at the data on excess deaths. Also a LARGE fraction of people have those other conditions.

Kerri, one study found that the average death from COVID shortened a person's lifespan by 11 years. Those other 95% would have lived much longer without COVID. Try to understand statistics before spouting them off.

Thanks for the perspective Elizabeth, maybe my perspective is skewed because I live in a particularly conservative town (and yes, we have those in California too!).

• ?

Personally, I don't think so. The one thing I took away from my time working in the US is that it is a nation of contrasts ... which you'd probably expect, given the size of the population. 

For every flat earther, there's a scientist sending probes to Mars. For every dole scrounger there's an entrepreneur setting up their own business. I just think the people shouting loudest in the US don't represent the quiet majority.

In terms of Covid-19, the US response was slow and somewhat disorganised compared to other nations. That was to be expected, not necessarily because of Trump, but because the US healthcare system is decentralized ... it took nearly two and a half months before accurate figures started to be compiled by the CDC because every state reported deaths and cases differently. 200,000 people have died as a result of Covid-19 and complications it caused. We know this because that figure is also the excess deaths based on the number of people who died over similar time periods in previous years.

It is only natural that the US is slow to accept climate change ... it's one of the major CO2 emitters and the impacts of climate change on the US won't be obvious for many decades. Contrast that with small European nations, like Ireland in the Atlantic surrounded by some of the most complex weather systems on the planet and most people here would tell you things are clearly changing ... new insects, changes in bird migration timings, strange flowering dates for plants, spells of unusually dry weather, milder frost free winters, and so on. 

So ... I'm optimistic. It'll take a generation but the US will catch up with the rest of the planet in terms of acceptance of climate change. Most young Republicans have a completely different view on climate change to the older party members.

One final point ... if you have lung cancer and can't run out of the way of a speeding car because of reduced lung capacity, your cause of death was being hit by a car. Yes, you might have survived by not having lung cancer but it doesn't change the fact the car killed you. Same with Covid-19 deaths. The argument that only 10,000 people have died is a complete misunderstanding. 200,000 people in the US are dead because they contracted Covid-19 who otherwise would not have died at that moment in time. Funny thing is, this also applies to influenza, so the people making the 10K argument who will then probably also argue it's not worse than flu figures, are accepting the co-morbidity for flu but not Covid-19. Which shows they're just trying to spin the narrative they wanted to spin.

Don't look at me.  I did my part by inventing the internet. 

Don't confuse the denialist nuts on YA or the minions of Big Energy with real scientists. In my own fields of herpetology and ecology, I have yet to see a paper that takes a denialist viewpoint or even suggests that there is a real controversy. Yes, Science has taken a hit from our election of a doofus who spouts whatever BS pops into his head [note that I don't say "mind"] and then asks his staff to come up with reasons that he might be right, the way he did as a game show host. You may have noticed that he never names the "some people" who say what he blathers about. In the meantime, he calls 7 million infected and some 200,000 dead "A hoax designed to make him look bad". As if he needed help.

LOL.  There is no way anyone in the world can tell you if you live another day, let alone 11 years.

The death rate has tanked since April.  94% of people who died with Corona had at least one co-morbidity (e.g., stage 4 lung cancer).  That means total deaths are 10,000.

source:  CDC

Seems to me American scientific research is doing ok. science literacy, education, and support, not so much, but is that really new?

• Vela

Yes, and it is the fault of right wingers.

• ?

The science is fine.  It's the politicians that have failed you.