What do you call the spheres made of dried grass and twigs that roll around  in windy/dry places?

Sorry, I can't describe that any better, but I'm sure I've seen them in videos/cartoons

Update:

How do you comment on answers in here?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It is called "Tumbleweed"  but is more properly named "Russian Thistle".  It was introduced in the late 19th century by Russian immigrants to the Western US.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
  • 3 weeks ago

Mother nature's dust bunnies?

• Mike
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

They are called "tumbleweeds" and are a single plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumbleweed

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • joe
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

they are called 'tumbleweed' and the most iconic species is the Kali Tragus, (the ones you see in western movies and cartoons and in comedies) they are not just 'spheres made of dried grass and twigs' it itsself is not grass, but they can drag grass with it, along with other twigs and debris that gets snagged in it but is also light enough to be carried off by one. they are a very bushy generally spherical flowering weedy xerophyte diaspore plant that uses wind to disperse its seeds instead of other conventional means. this means that instead of intentionally and freely releasing their seeds, they hold onto their fruited flowers, now fertalized into seed pods, and as the plant dries out, it eventually breaks free at the base and is carried away by the wind, and as it rolls, the husks around the seed pods breaks apart, releasing seeds.                                                                   P.S., Y!A has disabled commenting for now. they have done it in the past for a couple months and reinabled commenting a month or so afterwards. (probably to prevent election season strife from flooding Y!A starting fights in the comments) if it is the same thing that happened last time,  will probably be back up by this January or February.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, Tumbleweed. You can't comment on answers anymore, YA removed it as a feature quite recently.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Tumbleweed

15 characters

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.