Proper Usage of 'more often'?

When we read an article on the internet saying that some Event X takes place more often than you think. What is in the mind of the author who writes this article? Does the usage of more often implies that 

1.)the author thinks that readers of his article already think that the event takes place at a lower frequency level 

OR

2.)the author thinks that his audience might think that event never takes place ,

OR

3.) both scenarios 1and 2 are possible? 

Similarily, can anyone tell what exactly the usage of more common and more often implies in day to day English conversations??

• drip

More often.  #1. More time than you think it takes place. Not that the reader thinks it never takes place, but it does. 

Looking at our credit card bill I found we eat out more often than I thought we did. 

I am staying home because of the virus and find I eat more often than necessary.

Our new born baby wakes up at night more often than I thought he would. 

More often than not the mail is here by 3pm.