I hired a company to install a new AC and ducts. Am I responsible for the cost if they didn't pull a permit and the job is not up to code?

You are responsible for obtaining any required permits, and making sure the work is up to code, PERIOD.

You probably have a claim against the company for the excess cost of fixing things over what you agreed to pay them.

• ?

State law comes into play, in Ma for instance, the contractors are legally responsible for pulling permits.  If they don't want to pull one, then do not hire them becouse something fishy is going on.

well yea, you hired them without consideration of your local requirements

in my state, the vendor has to deliver work that meets code as inspected by local government.  if his work fails, he will likely lose in court when you don't pay.  in that case, the court [or building inspection department] may require you to get the work re-done until it meets code -- which, if not done by the original firm, means you pay the replacement firm and deduct their bill from the agreed price with the original firm.  You also get to recover your court costs, including attorney's fees.  Assuming you know it doesn't meet code because it failed the inspection, and the cause isn't as simple as replacing electrical breakers, I suggest you find and hire that attorney now -- because I surely wouldn't pay [or would cancel the charge to my credit card] until the work does meet code as per final inspection.  -- Grampa  [I'm in florida -- it's pretty difficult to advise someone on a legal matter when they don't say where they are.  And no, i'm not an attorney so this isn't quality legal advice.]

• Edwena

You should withhold payment until the job is brought up to code and your specification/contract/agreement and any legal entities are satisfied.  The issue of getting the permit generally lies with the contractor, and the fact that he didn't indicates that there is probably a reason.  Like doing business illegally.  You should talk to the city permit people and find out what is going on.  You should get a lawyer and can probably deduct his fee from your cost for the AC.  You should also consider having him remove all of the equipment and work and terminating the agreement.  Be sure you have this in writing.  See a lawyer.