M asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

I deposited a cashier check with the bank ATM. Transaction went OK, the same day the bank debited my account and don't give back my check?

The cashier's check has both of my wife and my name on it, both of us signed on the back of the check and deposited into my checking account . The bank void the transaction. We came to the bank and ask them to give us back our check, they said they don't have the check to give back to us, the check is no longer work once it went through their system. They refused to give back the original check to us. What should we do? 

11 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Atms only deposit checks not money orders. 


    Do you still have receipts from both.

    Place of purchase

    Atm, bank. 

    Issuer will refund for a fee, if not used.


    Go to teller (drive-thru, walk-in) live people to insure no problems. 

    SMARTPHONE APP (take picture, deposit, write “only for e-deposit @..." under signature) 

  • DON W
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Your story is missing one important item.  When the bank voided the transaction, they should have told you why.  

    I agree with Chrstin K.  It sounds like you were given a fake check, and bank policy is not to return such.  They will want to hold onto it as proof that there was an illegal transaction.

    The person who prepared the fake check will try to stall, not wanting to give you a good check.

  • 1 month ago

    There's only one reason a bank would void a transaction involving a cashier's check--which is as good as CASH--and that's if it was fake. When you buy a cashier's check at the bank, you pay for it right then and there--you don't 'draw' on an account to pay for it--it requires that the check be bought with funds a person has either in cash or from their account--and it isn't questionable--because the funds to make that cashier's check were already paid. 

    Someone gave you a fake one. That's the only reason it wouldn't be honored. You're simply out of luck unless you can prosecute the person who gave it to you. 

  • Gregg
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Does the IRS report your tax debt to the debt reporting agencies?

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You may be required to wait for a while to ensure that the check somehow got misallocated, and that is why the issuer won't cut you a check real soon.  AND that is a good reason to NEVER use an ATM to deposit large checks. Go inside and present the check to the teller and demand a deposit receipt.

    I have also had problems with ATMs that were unable to read some checks that were machine printed.

  • ted
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    Contact the issuer of the check.

  • Barry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    You need to find out WHY the issue arose. Speak to the bank manager or his right hand man and ask for a full explanation.

  • 1 month ago

    Talk to the bank manager about what is going on. 

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Contact the person who wrote it and ask for them to send you a new one...the bank are correct.

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Contact whoever gave you the check. Sounds as if there was no money in the account.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.