Meter of pop songs?

When I hear the word meter, I instantly think of Shakespeare and iambic pentameter. The question that I have relates to meter to pop songs. Would I be correct in saying that pop songs do not have a defined meter? For example I was looking at the lyrics of Don't Trust Me by 3Oh3 and one line looked like it had a clear U U A pattern while another line looked like it had an A U pattern. So assuming that my observation is correct, how do songwriters use the length and patterns of meter to their advantage to build up and release tension?

• John

You are asking if a computer resembles an abacus. Time in music is FAR more complex than that. It begins with the time signature - 2/4. 4/4, 6/8 or others (not going to explain it here....). Then it goes to tempo, which is simply whether it is fast or slow, Then you get to syncopation and then opens up the whole topic of rhythm in general, which leads to polyrhythms, the clave', and it just keeps going on....... WAY more then simple iambic pentameter.