If you're buying a large 4k TV, would you recommend a sound bar or a stereo speaker system? Or some kind of combination of the 2 possibly?

Andre L; I notice u don't mention Bose, LG, Samsung - are they to be avoided?

go visit an upscale used av/stereo store,see what used stuff they have,these guys are usually audio tv geeks,who will let you listen to the model you  want to hook up & see what it does,,big box guys have one floor model,a demonstrator floor model,they meander around are often disinterested in the dude who wants to listen and take their time,assume samsung bose LG are a lot of hype

and lack dependable performance

Deffo get 5:1 surround sound system with decent speakers. Forget about a soundbar because the speakers in those are pretty small anyway. I've seen soundbars with no subwoofer, soundbars with subwoofer and surround sound system and the best sound you get out is in that order.

I have a Sony surround sound which also has FM radio but it's the surround sound on TV which it's used for, 5:1 gives you the most realistic sound - better than stereo.

In my living room I have my 55" LG and a Bose sound bar

I have the audio output in the TV set to both the TV speakers and the sound bar, it sounds great.

My 65" in my living room is hooked up to my stereo/ pc with 2 12" Cerwin- Vegas and my 55" in my room has a soundbar and subwoofer

A surround sound receiver with separate speakers is most desirable.

A sound bar can work if you have a spouse approval factor to deal with.

The vendors you mention, they all make decent stuff.  MANY children here will tell you BOSE stands for buy other sound equipment.  If you like the way they sound, more power to you.

• Lance

Combinations wouldn't work properly. Your best sound is going to come from an AV receiver and separate component speakers...i.e for instance a modest entry level speakers system like Elac Debut speakers and entry level Denon AVS 540 receiver will blow even some of the best sound bars out the window, more advanced speakers and receiver even greater sonic heights ...The advantage of sound bars is convenience and ease of set up. Also because of their popularity, innovation and technology improves on a yearly basis..Those old all in one systems are old technology and no longer offer an up to date alternative. So your best bet for price and convenience is a sound bar...In a sound bar as a general rule the more drivers it has inside the better...Connections can also be important for flexibility the more the better..Also a separate sub-woofer can help especially in a larger room and for emotional impact...

A combination would be stupid. As they are two different kinds of audio gear.

My recommendation would be a proper audio video receiver and a proper set of home audio speakers. Choices starts with 5.1 systems, where one has two pairs of speakers, one for front and one for rear, a front center speaker and a front subwoofer.

Good makes of receivers include Pioneer, Yamaha, Harman Kardon and Denon, and good speaker makes include Infinity, Polk, JBL, and Klipsch.

It would depend on the size and arrangement of the room it was being put in.