Is street knowledge better than book knowledge? ?

Since all knowledge are discovered in real life, aren't practical knowledge more helpful to us?

Eg a degree won't protect you from burglars. 

Its 50/50. Both are equally important. So try to use both really. Then you will be intelligent. Don’t listen to the fools that place book smarts on a high pedestal. I rip off those kinds of dopes. I can also con-art the street-wise fools too. Remember, use your knowledge in combination form, what do you think the politicians are doing to society?

• Raja

Knowledge reaches your mind in different ways.

Is it “better”? Not necessarily. Because the soul can take flight reading profound, poetic and mystical etc. type literature. Or as Keats said, “beauty is truth, truth beauty; that is all ye know on this earth and all ye need know.” Soul-nourishing writings may not be ‘practical’ but too much practicality and too little passion makes for a life of dubious value. Of course we all know you should eat a nutritious meal but who doesn’t want to have a little dessert once in a while? 

I have all book knowledge, my best friend in New Jersey has all street knowledge -- when we got together, and we were friends starting in 2000, when I cold-called him from my desk in New York, and when we eventually got together and ran together we made a pretty hip combo !  The people who answered your question seem to devalue or mis-characterize what street knowledge actually is or what it can do for you.  Street knowledge is, in some ways, more important than book knowledge, but the people of the streets all feel the value of book knowledge every day of their dreary existence.

At times. I just got myself into a situation recently, and had I some better bargaining skills a problem wouldn't have resulted. I have read hundreds of books, but none of them have made me better at conducting business. Maybe I should start reading books that increase street/business smarts, and kill two birds with one stone?

• dumb

I don't know, but if you are a librarian book knowledge seems to win out.

• F

I agree with the general consensus. Book knowledge will get you a decent job enabling you not to be exposed to situations where street knowledge is needed. You can get a decent job.

With street knowledge, the only way you’ll make money is drug dealing or prostitution.

Street smarts has value, but book smarts has more value.

In your burglar example: if I'm an educated person, I probably have a pretty decent job that allows me to live in a safe area with adequate police patrols. I know how to secure my home properly. My door locks are deadbolts. My windows are locked on the ground floor. I store valuables in a safe or a safe deposit box at the bank. I have a doorbell camera, maybe a security system. I don't keep a lot of cash around.

Now, all of that might not keep a burglar out. But I'm also smart enough to have my stuff insured.

And how did I afford all that? Because my book knowledge got me a career rather than a job.

• j153e

Knowledge practiced is worth more than knowledge unapplied.  It is an error or fallacy to reductively dichotomize "book" vis a vis "street;" a far truer perspective is to realize e.g. that you, "street person," as it were, were more likely to survive because you were born in a hospital, which was built by engineering, on a street constructed by machines using supplies mined and refined by companies, etc., all of which activities are complex skills using book learning as guides to wise labor practices.  The "street thug" simply has a more dire perspective of the type of "thinking" found in carnal "socialism," which moniker is a telling lie from its beginning...as social activity in a functional society involves the moral understanding that labor is sacred, and that labor as it complexifies becomes more refined.  If one thinks she knows about economics and value, and has not real life experience as a jeweler, watchmaker, or more recently as an electrical engineer or surgeon, then said "street thug" is a misled "socialist" who may, by hook or by crook, promote herself as a "servant leader," when in reality she neither serves--per rather promoting wrong-path politics of rage, policies of excessive currency printing in order to buy votes, excessively tax genuine producers, etc.--nor leads (as true leaders show true paths).  A great error of socialism is its lie claiming social reform.  At best e.g. unions gain some redress from plutocrats, but neither socialism nor oppressive greed develop human potential.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_o... indicates a more real-world path.

Related:

A Warrior's Path;

Understanding Yourself by Mark Prophet.

NO. STREET KNOWLEDGE WON'T GET YOU INTO THE COCKPIT OF A BOEING 787 AS A PILOT MAKING A SIX-FIGURE SALARY - OR ANY OTHER COOL, HIGH PAYING JOB.