Is being an alcoholic the same way as your partner cheating on you?

instead of with a girl or a guy, its with alcohol. There's no excuses for being an alcoholic.

Alcoholism is a disease.  I know.  It runs in my family.

Cheating is not a disease.

I came hear looking for answers and didn’t really get anywhere... I am 29yo and am active alcoholic, I met my girlfriend while I was on recovery, (4months) about 6weeks before I relapsed... I grew to love her and really do believe she’s the best thing that happened to me... unfortunately alcoholism is an addiction, we don’t choose it, alcohol chooses us in some way... I could promise her the world and mean it from my heart with every good intention in my heart to stay straight for her/us/myself but alcohol makes your choices for you... cunning baffling and powerful it is indeed! Yes you can love someone soo much with all your heart... if your in active addiction, that addiction will take over any good intentions you have unfortunately 

I agree to an extent. If the alcoholic is negatively influencing their partners life, it’s like they’re choosing alcohol over their partner. But at the same time once an alcoholic gets passed a certain limit they become incapable of making logical decisions. When cheating with another person, as long as they’re not intoxicated or suffer from an emotional/mental disability, they should be fully capable of making a logical decision 

That's not cheating but if they're so bad that the alcohol comes before you then you either need to help them get help if they want it or you just leave.

Not really, you can be in love with someone and ask them to get help and if they do stay by their side, if they make the effort to change, it wasn't really the same as cheating. Have a little faith in people. 

Alcoholism is an addiction, and there are many addictions in society... porn, sex, hoarding, food, drugs, and more.  Some people have addictive tendencies... and while you think there's no excuse, why slam people because they have an illness?  Lots of times (well most) addictions are the result of dire emotional life trauma.  And addiction is a progressive illness.  It's not like it happens overnight -- it happens over the course of time. 

Those who have the fortitude to kick their addictions are pretty strong individuals. 

• Trish

I wouldn't call it cheating alcoholism is nothing like that.  Some people have psych problems that can kill them.  It's like they're finishing the job someone started on them with abuse.

You did a nice job of laying out the apples and oranges idiom.  

• Alan H

Alcoholism is a (treatable) disease

Cheating is a choice

That's rediculous and you're a stupid boring person to hate booze. I wonder of you eat junk food or listen to lousy music, or watch garbage on tv and don't exercise.