Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 4 weeks ago

Is it illegal/wrong to download old nintendo games and play them on your computer?

like old n64 nes super nintendo games?

It's immoral and should have Nintendo drumming.

It depends. If you own these games on the original cartridge and take the rom file to use on pc, that's legal. However, if you go and google "mario kart 64 free rom", that's technically illegal. Don't feel bad about it though. I used to do that, but stopped because I think I got a virus from it once.

If I have a picture of art and I use it to my own benefit without profiting, it is not considered illegal.  However, if I have a duplication of a video game or movie and use it to my own benefit without profiting, it IS considered illegal.  Do I find it wrong?  Absolutely not.  Sometimes laws are stupid and thankfully chances of you getting prosecuted for violating this one is next to nothing.

By exact LAW... YES unless you own the game and can prove it if they come after you for using a emulator to play BOOTLEGGED GAMES.. 

'

It is also ILLEGAL to buy and have ILLEGALLY COPIED VIDEO MOVIES.

While the exact laws regarding it varies by location, it's generally consider illegal in most countries as it's considered copyright infringement & software piracy.

Within the US, corporate copyrights last 95 years from first publication OR 120 years from first inception, whichever ends first.  While the US copyright laws (& other countries) have a Fair Use Policy in place, but you can only use it on the games you legally purchase AND you have to rip the ROMs from your own copy.  Downloading the ROMs online doesn't count because that's from somebody else's copy.

WITH THAT SAID...  it's considered a low-risk crime due to the age of the games (as we're talking 3rd, 4th & 5th generation consoles while the industry is currently on the 8th generation & on the point of starting the 9th generation) & as long as you're NOT planning to share or distribute the ROMs you've obtained, you most likely won't get attention from the legal department of the game companies OR the ESA.

• garry

nope , they dont sell them then its public domain .sure some of the china made consols dont pay .

In most countries it is illegal.

Whether it is wrong or not depends on your point of view.  Personally, I don't think it's wrong since you can no longer buy the games.

It's neither illegal nor 'wrong', whatever that means.

Yeah I mean it is illegal and they would say it’s wrong, but it’s easy and there’s no consequences for it so I would say do it. All you’re doing when you buy rereleases of old games is paying a multi million dollar company a premium price for an old product, nobody who worked on the game itself is getting rich off it, only the bosses of the company are, so why give boardroom executives $60 for old games. 

It is illegal.

Though Nintendo usually will not go after the end-users but instead will put a cease and desist on the web sites sharing the files to make it harder for the users to find the files.

So continue at your own risk.