Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Is it bad that I'm 20 years old, never had a girlfriend, still a virgin in every way, never smoked, drank or done drugs?

Growing up, I always saw my peers getting girlfriends, losing their virginity, going out partying and getting drunk, smoking weed and marijuana, doing hard-core drugs, some even joined gangs! I was always the acception of the rule. Never did any of that. Never even had a puff of smoke! So, is it weird that I've never done any of that? Am I a weirdo? Am I a stranger to this wicked world? Some of the kids on my City even had GAY/LESBIAN relationships! Please, serious answers ONLY. Thank you!

• Paul

You are asking if it is bad that you have remained good, and avoided the sins and errors of others?  No, being good is never bad. And you are not alone.

• drip

Why on the heck would that be bad. 

At 20 my daughter had never had sex, smoked, drank or did drugs. 

At 29 her and her husband have never smoked, drank or have done drugs. Not do they plan to ever do so.   

There are people who can get through life having fun and socializing without Alcohol, drugs and tobacco 

No, not a weirdo. Understand that your life is your life and resist the temptation to compare yourself to others (usually negatively). I don't know where you are in your life journey, but plans for a future career, if you aren't in one yet, goals for where you want to live and getting involved in something you enjoy--that is also a good place to find a girlfriend (a co-worker of mine met his future wife in a hiking club, go figure!). 

From a health standpoint, the drugs, overconsumption of alcohol, and gangs are not exactly...ahem, a healthy lifestyle assuming you would like to have children one day and live to see them grow up. You might also evaluate where you live. Perhaps, you really like the community in which you live, maybe it's all you know, but you might think about a different place. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, it seemed everyone like me was getting married and having kids. When I moved to another city, I found that was more often an exception than the rule. Just food for thought. 

You sound like a decent person.  Why don't you join the Navy and see the world, you would probably love it.

• Zirp

there's nothing wrong with not jumping on every bandwagon that comes by.

Unfortunately English seems to lack a positive word for stubborn/pigheaded

whats bad is you ask about it here.

When I was 20 I was also still a virgin and I thought sort of like you did. I didn't lose my virginity till I was 28. Make good choices in life and I agree with what Greygoose said, you want to follow your peers so that you belong I get it. But then why not go with what YOU think are right and not blindly following others. Be a leader too! 

Source(s): 36 and been through a lot too (both good and bad and great!)

Not bad at all. Most young people are inclined to go along with what is popular. Use your youth wisely, it will be very beneficial for you later in life. Many times people speak about the enjoyment of such situations, but never the consequences that can follow.

• Piero

I think it's sad that you think life's normal experiences are not desirable. You have missed out on most of the pleasures of youth. It's sad indeed.

no, it makes you smart and responsible.