Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

Why did the British people choose to leave the EU when they know deep down inside, it was the wrong choice? Should the UK rejoin one day?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

english like to whinge anyway , show me a pom who doesnt .

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I think they jumped on the idea before they really knew what the effect would be. I don't know anyone in England who voted for it. They will only rejoin if they have a Leader who can see the benefits.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Obviously it was just manipulated by the Torey class which jealously guards its privileges and loves to hold sway over the ignorant conservative masses, who are comfortably asleep as their willing stooges and glad fools. Britain was afraid to spread its wings and soar as part of Europe and longed to go back to sleep as infantile embryonic hobbitses in their uterine Hobbit Holes. Holbytla. Airstrip 1. Me hiding me head in the sand. They were afraid to imagine, afraid to join secret populist groups and clean out the Jihadi Johnnies, afraid to sabotage and compete with the Eastern European monsters from Transylvania and so on. They couldn't imagine returning to that competitive and a bit bloody and larcenous spirit of the nineteenth century. Curled back up and sucked its tiny thumb it did. 

• 3 weeks ago

I have known "deep down" for about 50 years that JOINING the EU was "the wrong choice", and I have opposed our membership ever since.

If the EU is still in existence a few years down the line and the government of the day can be persuaded to have another referendum, well, that's how a democracy is supposed to function. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The problem with re-joining would be that continental Europe would look at the UK even more warily than it did when were were full members of the EU.

Possibly more likely is that the UK will, in the next couple of decades, break up into its constituent 4 nations (actually Northern Ireland is a province), and that at least Scotland would then swiftly apply to become a member of the EU.

Scotland has made very strong noises for a new referendum for independence since the UK voted to leave the EU (the previous, failed, referendum was in 2014, before the UK decided to leave the UK - things are different in Scotland now), and Wales is now making independence noises in its parliament. If that, too, resulted Wales joining the EU, that would leave 2 international borders across mainland Britain. Yet more paperwork every day!

A newspaper poll 3 days after the referendum in 2016 said that 7% of Leavers regretted their vote and 4% of Remainers regretted their vote. With that minor scale of maths we would have voted to remain, and avoided 4 years of wrangling.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They were given a free choice and they chose. Only time will tell if the choice was right or not. They fact that the electorate returned a government with a huge majority rather suggests that they are still in favor of leaving and they punished the arrogant politicians who tried to tell them they were wrong.  Re-joining would mean having to have the Euro and few want that.

• F
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Yes because being ruled by the Germans while subsidising most of east and southern Europe  is what we really want!

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Well part of it was a misleading campaign from the "Leave" coalition.  The centerpiece of their argument was a claim that immense amounts of money would return to Britian to be used on the National Health.  Immediately after the vote they admitted that this claim was a lie and that they had intentionally mislead the public. 

But the "Remain" side also deserves a lot of blame.  They did a pretty terrible job of explaining just how bad Brexit would be for the UK.  So people who voted to leave came away thinking that Brexit would just allow Britain to do whatever it wanted on the international scene.  There was little sense that they were giving up things too.  There also wasn't a lot of explanation that Britain, which is a much smaller economy than the EU, would have a lot less leverage in international trade negotiations, or that much of Britain's commerce is with the EU, which would now be behind a tariff wall. 

• 3 weeks ago

its their country so its about time they made a good decision 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

their country, their decision ..........................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.