Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

How long can you keep sugar/honey water in the refrigerator?

I sometimes make pickled apples with honey, water and sugar. Most of time I just use the apples and a few spoon of the water for cakes and then discard the water, but sugary water taste so good, so I wonder how long you can keep it in the refrigerator? (To use as a sweetener in drinks).For freeze/storage, Ive seen recipes where you use vinegar/acetum to make it last longer, but I tends to use up the pickled apples rather quickly so I never add that.

I make a simple syrup (water and sugar) for the Hummingbirds and I will keep a jar in the fridge for a week. 

If you have had apples in the sugar mixture you are introducing organisms (bacteria , yeasts and other "wildlife") into the sugar mixture so there is a chance that stuff will grow. I would probably not keep the mixture more than 2 weeks.  

Actually without an acid, typically vinegar, you re really not "pickling" you are just sweetening the apples. 

Check out an internet recipe for simple syrup and sub some honey for part of the sugar. Use that to pickle your apples. Simple syrup has a long shelf life.