Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 4 weeks ago

Is Shotacon Karate good for practical self-defense in the event of a streetfight or a home invasion?

I won't always be able to carry a gun with me everywhere, so I need something that I could utilize any time and any place, and wouldn't have the need to purchase any ammo for it, just my body.

How many practitioners of Shotokan Karate do you see in the Octagon? You are better off doing the Angry Monkey. 

Tbh more and more criminals are shooting and carrying guns. Yeah hand to hand combat is cool and all, but it's a different world out there today. 

• Bon

It's Shotokan, not shotocon.

What makes any martial art effective for self-defense is NOT the name or the type, but the instructor and how it is taught.  A name tells you nothing about whether you will be trained adequately for self-defense.

• Paul

whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Its worked great for me for over 40 years.

Whether or not it will work for you depends upon how you train and how good your instructor is.

BTW the spelling is shotokan with a k, in japanese they do not use the letter c from what I remember 

mma fighters Lyoto Machida, shotokan as well as several others

anything is possible