Rosie asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

Am I in the wrong or is my mom? ?

A couple days ago my mom and sister got in a fight due to my sister accusing her of always putting herself first and never truly listening to her, so naturally they have stopped speaking. My mom has started to talk to me more and decided to tell me that she has a secret. The secret was that my sister told her that she thinks I’m better than her, and more successful . That she envious of me and my talents. It made me really upset because I love my sister and we’re very close. So I told my sister everything my mom told me and my sister said that our mom has also spread lies about me, that I’M also jealous of my sister, that I think she’s smarter than me. And while I do agree that she’s smarter than me I am not envious of her! My mom found out (sister confronted her) and now my mom is heated and is demanding to call me . She yelled at me that I’m only causing problems for her. Who is in the wrong? 

Talk to your mom in a calm way she sounds a bit crazy.

• J P

The phrase "sibling rivalry" originated 70 years ago, but the phenomenon has been around for centuries! Sisters especially are conflicted about having a friend like no other, but not wanting to live in her shadow. For your mother to exploit for her own "divide and conquer" program is wrong. But then you made it known to your sister, putting yet another wedge in the foundation! Please, work out this current situation as best you can, and if your mother tries this again just refuse to participate. If she manages to put your sister's upsetting words in your head, don't carry the news at all. Just remember you both have talents and you'll rely on each other if you don't let jealousy ruin your relationship. When you see your sister leave your mom out of it. Tell her you are determined not to let jealousy pull you apart, tell her you love her.

you both might be wrong

Your mom argues no matter what. She has some issues. Does it matter who is smarter not really because you have street smart and than you have book smart. In case you may not know what I meant about street smart it's about how to survive in situations like how your mom puts division between her own children. That's not good parenting. By the way, you and your sister are different in knowledge and it's good to have for your life. Do not let this get to you for it will bring sadness and friction among this family.

maybe youre both wrong

I'm not sure that anyone is necessarily in the wrong... or perhaps it's that it doesn't really matter. You and your sister are smart to talk to each other about the gossip/rumors that you hear from your mom, things like that so often wind up tearing siblings apart. I don't think it's worth it to confront mom about it, you and your sister keep talking to each other and be supportive of each other. I would refuse to talk about each other with your mom, just leave her to try desperately to start fires where none exist, when it isn't working, hopefully she'll quit.