Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 3 weeks ago

Can aluminum foil be used to wrap raw poultry and meat before storing in the freezer?

I have no plastic Ziploc bags at home, nor plastic wrap. I only have plastic grocery bags.

And aluminum foil.

I'm trying to prevent freezer burn.

• bill

Sure but i would double wrap it as foil sometimes has little holes in it. i

Preventing freezer burn is accomplished by keeping air away from the food you are freezing. Wrap the food in foil, and fold the top seam three or four times to make it airtight. Then mold the foil to the contents to expel as much air as you can. fold seal on end, push out any more air if you can, then fold seal the other end. The most-used appliance in my kitchen is a Food Saver vacuum sealer. We seal snack bags, leftovers and uncooked meats for freezing or future use. Today I sealed two sweet & pungent pork dinners for later use. Sometimes you find them in thrift stores.

• denise

Its 'ok',  have you any ceram wrap? that would be good to use. 

no the wrapping needs to be airtight 

If it's only going to be frozen for a little while, the package it came in from the supermarket is fine to freeze it in because it already was frozen in that package. I usually dig for the new one that's still frozen anyway. Foil will not work. Only freezer bags will prevent long term freezer burn. But in my humble opinion, 5 year old frozen meat smells like the armpits of the guy who ate prison sweat meat for 5 years, so keeping it fresh in the freezer is a moot point.

• kswck2

Plastic grocery bags are not a good idea. Try wrapping it in parchment or wax paper first, then in tin foil. 

• Spence

Using both might be a good idea.  tie off the plastic bags before freezing, though.