? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 months ago

Why does Trump want to build a wall to keep Mexicans from coming to America?

Why Mexicans? And also, what’s the point of building a wall when they can just use planes to fly over here? 

Update:

@Christian Sinner, yes I did know that there are other Latin countries besides Mexico. People only mention Mexico, but I probably should’ve said “South America” instead of just “Mexico”. Sorry.

Update 2:

@Pearl, why would you have two Yahoo Answers accounts just to answer my question twice?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Zac Z
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

"And also, what’s the point of building a wall when they can just use planes to fly over here?"

Kudos, Ollie. In another question, you mentioned that you're just 13 years old, yet you seem to have more brains than many Republican voters.

Actually, if one is worried about illegal immigration as is allegedly the reason for building the border wall the focus should be on visa overstays, not illegal border crossings.

Far more people enter the US legally but overstay their visas than sneak in through the Mexican desert: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/...

Trump is a populist. The "Build the Wall!" theme plays well with his base; the reason for that, sadly, seems to be xenophobia and/or racism. Interestingly enough, these are sentiments that have been used by dictators for a long time. Vilifying a group, be it foreigners in general, "Mexican rapists", the Jews, take your pick, provides a mechanism to blame all problems on "the others", to shift away responsibility to the scapegoat of the day. Blaming immigrants for domestic issues was at the heart of the Brexit vote, a historically bad decision for the UK; blaming the Jews for domestic issues was a key component of Hitler's rise to power.

What these cases have in common is that populist rhetoric was used, taking advantage of people's negative sentiments without bothering with the facts.

Many US citizens actually benefit from illegal immigration. Illegal immigrants contribute to the economy without benefiting themselves from social programs. They work for cheap.

I'm not saying that that's great but the alleged basis for xenophobia is most often not based on facts.

The whole wall shtick seems to be a random thing, something Trump said in one of his early rallies (and if you've ever heard him speak freely for a longer time you know that he rambles on, jumping from on topic to another) and which got a positive reaction from the crowd. Trump seems to live for his rallies. He craves for attention and approval, something he never got from his father. He loves to be cheered on. If you've ever wondered why a sitting president is campaigning during his entire term as if he were running for president, rather than doing the actual work of being president - that's why. He loves these rallies because there he's surrounded by his fans. He seems to be living in a fantasy world where he is the most popular person. Have you seen when he was visiting a sports event (last year I think) and he was booed by the crowd? He seemed to be taken aback because he isn't used to that, given that he has removed anybody who might criticize him from his inner circle and usually only deals with friendly crows at his rallies. He calls into Fox News shows every week (which president calls into TV shows all the time??) but he never does so with other networks - because over at Fox they are brown-nosing him while at other networks he's treated like other politicians, i.e. he would be asked real questions not just softballs.

Anyway, the wall thing apparently came up in one of his ramblings, got a very good reaction from the crowd and because that is what Trump apparently needs he kept repeating it. That's how you get nonsense like "and Mexico will pay for it". The crowd loves it, even if it is ludicrous. Trump cares for the former, not the latter.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You forgot ALL of south America and Central America below Mexico. THey were coming also. And they would need valid passports to get in by plane. 

• 4 months ago

cause they need to get their paperwork done before they come here

• 4 months ago

Did you know that there is a whole continent to the south of Mexico, and there were many coming through too from there? I know, I know, Democrats don't mind all the illegal drugs and the sex slaves being abused by the Cartel coming through there either. You guys talk about women and child abuse like you care, when someone comes up with a solution, you are told to be against it. And you do what you are told. The Democrats never tell you how dangerous it is to walk through the desert in the southwest, do they? They don't care about people.

Attachment image
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Don’t forget about the hysterectomies. Maybe the census shows that Hispanic Americans are the majority.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Maybe we should do an exchange....... American haters with people trying to enter the country

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

There already was a wall and fence along most of the built up borders.  All that was left were the remote areas where geography acts as a deterrent.   He wanted a wall because he told the people who voted for him that he was going to build one and have Mexico pay for it.  Sure he played to their fear of illegals, and made them feel empowered to express their racism, but they still voted for him, so he wanted to keep those votes.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

maybe cause they should get paperwork done to come here

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.