? asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 3 weeks ago

Why does my Cell phone (for certain applications) and my PC (for certain sites), get my location wrong?

It mostly only happens on Google Chrome and it happens a lot more on my Android smartphone (using Google Chrome) then it does on my PC. An example of it happening is whenever I log onto a site it will say, "Last logged on Samsung J7 in Farmington, UT one second ago"...I live in Idaho, not Utah (for some reason, my phone through Google Chrome always thinks I am in Utah). This does not happen with apps. My weather app will always open right to the town I am in when I have location set to "automatic". My PC it only happens on two websites: Barnes and Noble and Weather.com. Weather.com always thinks that I am in Stafford, AZ and Barnes and Noble always thinks I am in Eastside, California or Dallas, TX. I have never even been to any of those places ever. These sites will even ask my location (on my phone and computer), and it will still detect that I am there. This happens a lot more with my phone. My phone almost always thinks that I am in Utah when I am using Google Chrome. I don't think it is Google itself, because Google Maps always has me at the correct location, and whenever I am researching local businesses, it is always accurate.

• Lv 7

if your GPS is broken (or non-existent), then many sites/apps will use your IP Address to determine location, and that is inaccurate at best, as it is the location of your ISP and not YOUR location.

• keerok

It's not you. It's them. Nothing you can do about it.