Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 3 weeks ago

What is the more correct word for retarted when still referring to very slow people?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Retarted if it was a proper word would mean “put into a tart again” The apple fell out , so I retarted it.

You mean retarded. Otherwise known as thick or dim. ESN (educationally sub-normal 

) used to be used too.

PC wise , I think “ special needs” or “learning difficulties” is currently used.

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Disabled or Cognitively challenged are more appropriate. I prefer "Differently abled".

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

There's no such word as "retarted."  Buy a dictionary.

• garry
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

your retarded is more like it , they are disabled or impaired is the correct answer , retard is so insulting , 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Another word is, 'intellectually challenged'. This so far has not been posted.

• 3 weeks ago

Mentally underdeveloped.

You mean, of course, "retarded".

EDIT to add: "Disabled" is a very general term, covering every possible kind of physical and mental impairment. If you are talking specifically about someone with slower than usual mental development, well, "retarded" USED to be the polite and sensitive way to describe such a person, but whatever expression we use now, you can be sure that within ten years it will be being used routinely as an insult, and the hunt will be on again for yet another way to say it.

• 3 weeks ago

"retarded".  .

• blank
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

In the brave new world of policially correct speech - the term you are looking for is "special needs."

(us it quick before it too is deemed hurtful and derogatory, lest you be shunned for even thinking it.).

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Note spelling: retarded.  I dread to think what 'retarted' might mean!

• 3 weeks ago

Handicapped , differently - able. These  may be alternatives, if not accurate.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.