apollo x8 interface connection to a pc with no thunderbolt port (how can I connect this device?)?

so I found that the apollo is a great audio interface for real-time plugin ins for daws and live events. I'm hoping to purchase but wonder how can I connect this to my surface book 2? it says it's connected through thunderbolt 3 which is what I would need to convert is some way into my laptop or the dock station. there are USB (3.1) ports and the USB c port on the surface and the dock has other extensions that can be found online. what I wish I could've tried when we rented was connect it to my pc. the setup basically was used as a send and return to our ql5 board. nothing of connection to a daw which its mainly for. so what I would like to know how can I convert it to connect to my surface book 2? should it connect with the USB c port? will it even connect this way? reason being since they are similar, but I've read that the USB port does work that way for the surface. or will I need to convert the thunderbolt 3 to USB and put it into the USB port? asking from anyone who has worked with this since I haven't gotten to test this in some way. I hope this was clear and I find an answer on how I could do this along with maybe testing one at a retailer hopefully soon.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You cannot connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a standard USB-C port and expect it to work. Thunderbolt is basically a combination of DisplayPort and PCI-E, and is much faster than USB. Even if there was an adapter, any device attached to it would have to run much slower than normal, and you'd have extra latency.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.