Is there case law that says an police officer in uniform has to identify themselves as a police officer? ?

So, if a suspect of a crime sees police arrive and begins to run, do police officers need to say "Police, Stop!"? Or is this one of those things that a "reasonable person" should have known? I am looking for actual case law or state law, not opinions. Thanks.

Update:

1. IN UNIFORM

2. NO OPINIONS. If case law was easy to lookup and readily find the answers to questions, the world probably wouldn't be burning down right now. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

In my state, the law just says "an officer acting in official capacity". How the officer identifies himself would be up to department policy. We are only required to identify ourselves when in plain clothes. 

One of the first things the District Attorney asks the officer on the stand is "were you in a uniform similar to the one you are wearing now?". If you resist, obstruct, or disobey the burden would be on you to convince the court you didn't know it was an officer. 

• 4 weeks ago

Being in uniform IS identifying themself as an officer. No law actually requires using the word police. I can't cite a law that doesn't exist any more than you can cite the Supreme Court case overturning Roe v Wade, because it doesn't exist either.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends where you live. In any event - look it up and get informed yourself instead of relying on other people's opinions.

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course there is no law that requires an officer to identify themselves as an officer 100% of the time.   How on earth would they do anything undercover?

There ARE laws about the subject though.  For example, in some states there is a crime called "entrapment".   But no, there is no blanket law that requires officers to identify themselves as such.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Its a policy of most police forces, its not a law.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.