Hector asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

I recently gave up alcohol and have been waking up with cold night sweats....how long will this go on for?

I drink often, like every day, but never in excess, usually just 3-4 shots of whiskey on my way home from work..

I have not experienced any other forms of withdrawal.

Currently I have not had a drink in 4 days.

Honestly I felt more rested when I woke up every morning when I was drinking.

Also, my room is cold at night, I leave fan and AC on

.

Sweating is among the reported symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, so you're discomfort at the sensation is not unexpected, just unpleasant. (Insomnia's in there, too.)

The amount and frequency of your drinking meets the criteria for alcoholism, so it's good that you've stopped, even if the drinking wasn't causing health or other problems.

I'm no expert but what I'm seeing at medical and rehab sites suggests that your withdrawal symptoms are likely to last from two to six weeks. Several stress that you absolutely can't let yourself treat the symptoms with alcohol, not even a very small amount.

Apparently there are numerous prescription medications that can ease your discomfort if it's disrupting your life. See your doctor, or maybe an email?

Meanwhile, though, I think what you're doing, while difficult, is the best thing for your health and well-being. There may be a future time in which you can drink at a social level without slipping into daily use, but that's not now. I congratulate you on making the difficult choice. Hang in there.