why are there so many ethnic people on uk tv now?

has anyone else noticed this?   it used to be mostly all white faces and characters on british tv when i was growing up, now black faces and other faces of ethnicity are starting to be more 'prominent'.....why is that?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

When terrestrial TV reined supreme, non white people were forced to watch whatever rubbish the tv companies saw fit to inflict upon the viewer!

Enforcement of the license fee made sure of that!

In order to watch what they wanted it was either go somewhere else to watch non white entertainment, or in time video, then cable or satellite TV.With satellite tv came the death of old monopoly. Inflicting endless programmes, and adverts featuring only wishy washy pale ghost like people.In a global market, program makers want to tap into profitable markets!They exist in countries where the predominant color is not wishy washy pale ghost like.Programs aren't cheap to maks! And the outlay needs to be recouped. 

Perhaps whilst you been snozzing Rip Van Winkle style, you failed to note the demographic changes that have taken place in the real world!

Even in America!

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because in 1947 when you were growing up you couldn't tell they were ethnic.  Your TV was called a 'wireless' and you couldn't see their faces.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Times have improved finally.

• 4 weeks ago

Crawl back under your stone, you hateful little man.

I bet you aren’t complaining when non-whites provide the treatment you keep telling us you rely on in the NHS.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I'd hate to be a black actor right now. Imagine being given a role in a TV show or advert and being told that you got the job, not because you were any good, but because you are black.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

They are more representative of a multi-cultural Britain. You also get more Americans on shows eg Downton Abbey, makes selling programmes abroad easier. TV (like films) is a global industry.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.