Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

How can I help my dad to eat better?

He used to be a bodybuilder... so he didn't really care wgat he ate. Now he is severely overweight, and denies it by saying that it's muscle. If my mom and me bring it up at all, he just gets mad. And if we don't buy him the junk food he wants, he gets mad at us. He is beginning to have health issues now. It's very worrying to both my mom and me, but he doesn't want to listen to us at all. Anyone have any ideas?

maybe you can do stuff like inviting him to go jogging with you without mentioning his weight, he might get the message

• Jane

I wonder if he is still in touch with anyone from the body building world? I doubt he will listen to family or doctor, but he might take notice of someone he respects. They may also suggest a way he can pass on his knowledge and experience, such as mentoring a young man or woman body builder, even if he can't participate himself. So as he no longer does body building, I'm thinking there's a reason for that, such as an injury or something else- no doubt he is grieving his lost fitness and identity and possibly using food to gain comfort if he is feeling bad about himself. 'Manly' men can find it difficult to express their feelings, as a sign of 'weakness', seems to me he may be suffering from depression.

It's interesting that he didn't care what he ate- usually body builders are very controlled about food. In fact, some can develop eating disorders eg. swinging from very strict, then bingeing. Maybe he developed an eating disorder that is now out of control?

He will do what he wants, so why bother?

• y

Did he stop working out? If so, why.  With age one needs to adjust diet and such, we just don't as much and we can't eat as much crap as we used. But even beyond that, many of the injuries of our youth come back to haunt us.  Muscle mass can cover for a lot of little things, the muscle holds everything in place and such. With age, we lose muscle mass, it can no longer keep things in place or supported. The result is pain, pain leads to lower activity levels. Which means huge adjustments to our diets.  Ever been on a diet? Know how hard they are to maintain?  All at a time when age is also slowing us down and playing hell with our bodies.

I'm thinking the best thing you can do for your dad, is find ways to keep him active. Hobbies, hiking, whatever. The more active he is, the more he burns, the better the joints respond, the less time he has to eat.

• Helen

Do nothing. It sucks but he's a grown man and it's his life. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

No idea. You can't force someone to eat well. He'll just eat bad in secret. Tell him you love him and want him to be around for a long time, and you are not sure why he wants to kill himself with food.

My father is the same way.  Let me know if you come up with a good idea.