Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Is it correct to say that more primitive people thought that animal sacrifice would earn them moral correction from God?

- and Jesus is our modern version of this?

The Idea of sacrifice originated with man, not God. The Lords(not God) of the old testament instituted animal sacrifice to discourage human sacrifice. Jesus sacrificed himself in an attempt to end all sacrifices. GOD did not desire animal blood; GOD does not desire human blood: Both are barbaric traditions.

What God instilled in earthly Israel were lesser symbols, but for greater spiritual realities in the Kingdom of God above. Note that earthly Jerusalem does not equate to the heavenly Jerusalem, which God will bring out of heaven after the Great White Throne judgment (note: Galatians 4:26, Revelation 21:2-3). And the Bible even explains that the menorah (the lamp stand) is a symbol, explaining what the spiritual truth of that symbol is, in heaven (see Revelation 1:20).

Zechariah 4:11-14, KJV -11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?13 And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

^ The two witnesses are Elijah and Moses, the same two who were witnessed in the transfiguration of Jesus (see Matthew 17:3-4, Mark 9:4, Luke 9:30-31)

Paul explains how God uses symbolism (read the book of Hebrews)

• Sounds about right.

No,  most "primitive people" did not believe in a single god or even God, and sacrificed animal,.food and sometimes people to whatever gods they beloved in.  In fact, most of these sacrifices had little to do with "moral correction" than they did with earning favor from the god(s).