Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Why do Hispanic people get so indignant if you mispronounce their names?

I was speaking with a man I work with named Jose.  I said "Hey, Hozay."  He looked all peeved with me and insisted "No, no, Keveen.  It is pronounced HosSAY!"  Do you see the irony in this?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • T'rone
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Whenever any foreigner tells us that we aren't pronouncing their name, language, etc. they always say "you said that in an American accent" meanwhile, they don't speak proper English.  Still, learn another language.  I know Biblical Hebrew and I don't regret that at all.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Most people don't like it if you mispronounce their names, sweetie.  You haven't noticed?

Yes, honey, I see the irony, if you really want to call your little joke by that word.  Doing so doesn't argue for much intellect on your part.

• adam
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Never noticed that.... My family came here from Cuba. We all speak English well though unlike my Mexican brethren.

• 1 month ago

That is not even a good story, Keveen. We all have different accents. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Even assimilated Hispanics are often prouder of their roots than assimilated non-Hispanics.

Source(s): I have lived in both the Anglo and Latino worlds, and therefore speak both English and Spanish fluently.
  • rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Went to school with a kid from Mexico city. He was  an over achiever. He didn't have any accent. We had a teacher make a poor attempt at pronouncing his name. He stood up, and told her that in the United States, his name was "Man-u-el", and in Mexico it was a flowery "Mawnyew~elle" We live in the USA.

• 1 month ago

MY SONINLAW is Mexican and we know how to pronounce his name..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah, the Hulios don't like it when Americans do that. It sounds really Janky.

I can't explain that joke because Blonds are dumb, they can't speak correctly. They'd never understand it.

But maybe it's because US likes to make fun of accents.

And remember, "e pluribus unum" ... err, I mean Speak English Damn It!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.