Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Can I go out and film whatever I like in Public ?

What if its a Private Property/Land and I am standing in Public Space, can I film it ?

What about a busy park with lots of people having picnics, playing with their dogs etc, can I film that ? 

What about a busy super market, if i stand in the car park can I film it ?

• Katy M

In the US yes.  In the supermarket scenario, it depends on who owns the parking lot.  But, since you say car park, I'm thinking UK.  They have stricter privacy laws there, I think.

Ii public, yes.  On private property you own, yes.  On someone else's private property, yes with permission.

• Maxi

Laws depend on country

• Murzy

In public, there is no expectation of privacy.

• Edwena

Invasion of privacy.  People have a reasonable expectation to privacy.  So, the question is what is reasonable.  Which comes down to individual situations and conditions.   For example, if you are in a public park and video your relatives and there is some stranger in the background, it is reasonable to video him.  If you are in the street and videoing a woman taking a sun bath in her back yard, it is not reasonable to video her.  In fact that is a crime and will get you arrested.  Also, check into news reporters.

• Rick

the question comes when you make money with those pictures.

In most places, the answer to all of those questions is yes. As long as you are in a public space, you can film, even if there are other people, or private property in the shot.