What was actually in that sponge full of "wine" that Yeshua drank while on the cross?

It seems rather convenient that he lapsed into unconscious immediately after drinking it.

It was sour wine, almost vinegar.  A Roman soldier uncharacteristically tried to share his drink with Jesus.

At another time, somebody put gall on a sponge or a hyssop to further torment Jesus.

• Matthew records that as Jesus went to the cross, “They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink” (Matthew 27:34). Mark described the drink as wine mingled with myrrh (Mark 15:23). The drink offered to Jesus was a cheap Roman vinegar wine, which had a drug mixed in to dull the senses. It was the custom of the Romans to offer a man being crucified drugged wine so that he might more easily endure his cross.

Jesus refused the wine,

"so that He could go through his suffering with a clear mind."

As He neared death, Jesus said, I thirst (John 19:28). One of the prominent effects of crucifixion was overpowering thirst because of the loss of body fluids through open body wounds and perspiration. David prophesied this Messianic event, saying They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21). John understood that Jesus was conscious of fulfilling scripture. After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst (John 19:28). One of the great heresies in the early church was the idea that Jesus was not really human, but as Jesus fulfilled this scripture, He showed that He was truly human and truly deity.

• David

Well, if you want to consider being DEAD unconscious, I guess he was.

YESHUA MESSIAH REFUSED THE WINE AND VINEGAR.

• ?

did he drink of it, or did He just taste it and then rejected it. ?  i think the latter is more true. as for the feigning death fantasy and false accusation, Jesus did die on the cross, think about it, first the night before he bled drops of blood. and then the Roman guard put a spear into his heart and lung as water and blood gushing out is medical proof that Jesus was dead. there was no other man that took his place, he was crucified and died and later rose from the dead in His resurrected body.

Jesus refused the drink.

The first time, they tried to give him vinegar on a sponge mingled with gall, and he denied it, as the Bible says to give wine to those who are ready to perish. Note that the next time, he was offered it, he partook of it, knowing he was ready to depart from His body, or give up the Ghost (as the Bible says).

“They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.”  - Matthew 27:34, KJV

^ Read Matthew 27:34-44 for full context, as this verse occurs before His crucifixion, being nailed to the cross.

LATER:

36 And one ran and filled a spunge full of vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink, saying, Let alone; let us see whether Elias will come to take him down. 37 And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost. - Mark 15:34-37, KJV

^ Read Mark 15:34-37 to get the full context, as the Bible says that this occurred in the 9th hour. This occurred at the end of His suffering.

“Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.” - Proverbs 31:6, KJV

• Dork

I can't wait to see how Petri Lindroos answers this question.

And being speared in the chest.....

Ask lestermount