Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetYouTube · 2 months ago

If I dance to a popular song and upload it to youtube,are there any copyrights I'm violating?

Yes, and YouTube can and do regularly delete copyright breaching videos.

YouTube has all kinds of stupid rules about copyright. A few years ago I posted a video on YouTube which showed a snippet of a TV program I was featured in, and the video received a copyright notification from LDS (Little Dot Studios) and no other information. This is used if YouTube can’t trace the origin of the copyrighted content. Anyway, I’ve even seen YouTube videos receive copyright notifications for music written by composers who have been dead for hundreds of years, such as Mozart. Such videos have the copyright claimant noted as “AdRev For A Third Party”. It’s all a scam.

Well, yes and no. Let me explain it to you like this:

1. Yes. Music made between January 1, 1923, to January 1, 1978, is still under copyright protection due to copyright renewals by the estate of the composers. You can risk getting your video removed if it breaches YouTube's strict copyright policies. Some of the music from the timeframe is still public domain, however, if the original copyright protection has since lapsed and was never renewed.

2. No. Music made before January 1, 1923, is already in the public domain and not eligible for copyright protection. That means you can dance to the song made long ago and upload it on YouTube without any problems.

Your dance performance is yours. 

The song isn’t. You do not own the rights to put the song on YouTube or anywhere else, and YouTube servers will usually identify and delete such content almost as soon as you upload it. 

That also happens if you upload any other YouTube video and the song just happens to be playing in the background when you weren’t even aware of it, such as if you left a radio or TV on in the background.

Unless you have paid for the rights to use a song, TV show, movie or any other intellectual property (IP) you are not allowed to use it on YouTube whether that’s to accompany you whilst dancing, picking your nose or flower arranging. Even if you have paid for the rights, the uploaded content gets taken down until you show proof that you can legally use the IP.

Yes, and YouTube can and do regularly delete copyright breaching videos. Though you might get away with it and would be extremely unlikely to be sued.

• Lv 7

you cannot upload or use other peoples' media in your media without permission.

Probably. Unless the "popular song" is a century old.