How do people who work at places such as mcdonald obtain insurance?

I always wondered how people obtain insurance after working at retailer stores and restaurants. Do they have to find it on their own?

I mean medical insurance. I lost my job and have no choice to work in those jobs. I would like to know how I obtain medical insurance.

Some places like that do offer insurance to employees.  Some are paid so little that they qualify to get insurance from the government.  Others have to find it on their own.

• a

Walmart offers medical insurance, and so does Starbucks.

The company I work for is very small (5 employees). It has never offered insurance, because when the owner looked into it, no company would offer it unless the owner was on it as well, He had really good insurance through his wife's job, and wasn't going to 'downgrade' his coverage to offer it to us. Truthfully, many employer -offered health insurance premiums are quite high, especially in small companies.

• ?

If the restaurant strategically doesn't assign them enough hours to be "full-time" employees and thus eligible for insurance, then they quite often don't have medical insurance.

They might have a spouse with a better job, or they might qualify for an ACA subsidy. Otherwise they would have to pay about half their income to get insurance on their own, which obviously they can't afford.

If you're trying to find insurance, use healthcare.gov. You can also buy directly from an insurance company.

Many are children. Where do children obtain insurance?

Through their parents.

• ?

First of all, what specific type of insurance are you referencing?  Life, medical, automobile, professional, disability, etc.?

About the only insurance that such employers may cover include workers compensation, job-related liability coverage, and unemployment insurance.  Each of these is usually required by law or local statutes.Most fast food and retail jobs are for part-timers and entry-level young people who are not planning to make a career out of these jobs.  Adults who take these jobs are usually either people who want to supplement their income or have no marketable job skills (or lack useful education).Employers simply cannot afford to pay them well, nor offer them any benefits.  

Health insurance?  The same as people working as the CEO of a bank

- through their employer if they work enough hours

- through the government marketplace

- through a insurance broker

- through your parent's plan

- through your former employer via COBRA

- direct from an insurance company.