Question about bios updates and ryzen 5000 on x570 and b550 boards?

Just as the title suggests, if I purchase a new x570 or b550 motherboard today (as it's prime day) will it come with the required bios update to run a ryzen 5 5600? This is my first amd build so I don't have another processor to update the bios manually. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If the motherboard BIOS includes AGESA v1.0.8.0, then it can boot a Ryzen 5000 CPU.  Later BIOS updates will be more optimized for Ryzen 5000 support, but AGESA 1.0.8.0 is the minimum support required.  In the past when older boards needed a BIOS update before running new chips, AMD made an emergency CPU available when requested that was enough to boot the BIOS enough to update it.  We haven't heard about their plans for Ryzen 5000 chips, but I would think they would offer the same service.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why would you go with AMD?

They're always embellishing on their benchmarks and overhyping their releases. If you really sit down and investigate their benchmarks, an Intel Core i9-10900k will still beat the Ryzen 9 5900x in gaming.

• 2 months ago

Kindly consult your vendor or the support staff of the motherboard company. Your issue is unique in nature and only the manufacturing company can fix it.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you need to check CPU support on the motherboard manufacturer's webpage for that model.

every board maker is different. if your CPU requires a newer BIOS than the oldest BIOS listed, you will need another CPU that is supported on older BIOS to upgrade the BIOS before installing the newer CPU.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I'm going to assume that anything you buy right now, will *not* come with the required BIOS that supports R5000, only for the R3000 series. That's because the R5000 has not been put on sale yet. However, AMD has also not introduced any new 600-series chipset for the R5000 processors, so that means the 500-series is the preferred platform for R5000 just as it was with the R3000. So if you're lucky, I am going to guess that the 500-series has some kind of "limp-home" logic that allows R5000 processors to be used initially in a very basic low-feature-set mode which is enough to boot up into an OS and apply a BIOS update from an USB stick.

• 2 months ago

There is no way of knowing with any certainty.

Most suppliers will have motherboards that were manufactured anything from weeks to months previously.

It may work, or at least be bootable, as it's still a Ryzen 3 based device - just a new low-end / economy version; suspiciously like a Ryzen 7 3700 with two cores missing or disabled, in fact.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen...

In that case it would likely work OK, in a board that supports the 3700.

• 2 months ago

fartfartfartfart

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you shouldnt need one .. just download the bios on another puter and update it if the version isnt the right one after its built ....

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The drivers are outdated. It is highly recommended to update the drivers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.