Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 2 months ago

Can Orthodox Jews buy and eat food that are not from Jewish Markets?

I know there is a list of meats Jews cant eat or mix meat and milk. But can Jews buy and eat food from Markets that are not Jewish? For example... a vegan product free of meat or milk, can they buy? Can I offer food without meat to Orthodox Jews if I become friend of one? I am vegetarian and I dont eat meat, so can I offer my food to share with Orthodox Jews in a friendly way? I would not like to sound rude. So I would like to know if they can eat. 

Jews are not allowed to trust or accept any food from non-Jews UNLESS the food came from a kosher restaurant or shop and had a kosher seal which hasn't been broken or tampered. As a safeguard against intermarriage and assimilation we do not eat in gentiles homes even if all the food was 100% even by the most Orthodox rabbi in the world. This is stated in the Shulchan Aruch - Code of Jewish law. 

Even if you had bought me a cookie from a kosher shop in a bag which looked exactly the same as found in the kosher store I wouldn't eat it. The ONLY time I would accept ANYTHING from a gentile is IF!!! the food was still packaged and contains the UNBROKEN stamp or kosher seal which means you had nothing to do with the food. Between you, me and the restaurant or shop - there is no middle person...you are just the delivery guy. We don't even accept vegetarian food from goyim because there might be alive or dead insects which weren't carefully removed. 

We ONLY buy from a kosher shop or butcher NEVER a gentile shop UNLESS!!! the food is kosher with the kosher symbol and is found on our kosher list.

Source(s): Orthodox Jew

Jews who keep kosher can buy food from non-Jewish stores, provided that the foods are certified kosher.  Many non-Jewish food companies have their foods and processes checked by a kosher certification agency, and they are allowed to print a trademarked "hechsher" logo which is a symbol that the agency considers their products to be kosher.  There are hundreds of these agencies; although the Orthodox Union (whose hechsher is a "U" in a circle) is the biggest.  I live near Chicago, and the local agency is the Chicago Rabbinical Council, whose symbol is cRc enclosed in a triangle.

Fresh produce is considered kosher, and requires no hechsher.  Packaged vegan products need to bear a hechsher. 

• Robert

Hello,

Yoel Cohen has given you the correct answer.

The following may be of interest to the general reader:

British "Koshur Nosh Guide 2020":

https://fliphtml5.com/uengy/hvyl

Right-click and select "full screen".

The above Guide is valid only for the year to which it applies, it does not apply to Passover (see below), and the Guide is also subject to published Updates.

Stricter rules apply for the Passover, during which any form of leaven (chametz) is forbidden. This means that for Passover the items listed in the above Guide, and like Orthodox guides, do NOT apply. (The next Passover festival will be April 2021). 

Example of a Kosher for Passover Guide which applied tor Passover in April 2020. Again, it is only valid for the year to which it relates: 

https://oukosher.org/passover/passover-guide/

Robert.

Source(s): Please click the sources given above, or if any are not clickable you can copy their address to your web browser's address bar.

Yes, Jewish people can buy food from anywhere as long as it meets their dietary requirements.