m asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 2 months ago

How can I fix this problem?

My PC would recognize the external DVD writer, but only when there is no disc in it!

Problem solved: Turns out I've been connecting it to a weak USB port.

not enough power to run a disk it either needs an external power source or a second USB cable , or a USB cable with two USB plugs at one end to get extra power

Replace DVD writer

Did you try following the advice I offered yesterday, ma'am?

Your 'problem' appears to be what I said yesterday ... a problem with the Registry entry with regards to your DVD Writer ... that the Upper Filter or Lower Filter registry key has changed.  It MAY be that you've recently installed a new software that's caused this change.

replace or upgrade the driver.  see maker's website

• keerok

The disc you are loading is broken? Try with a verified working DVD.

You need to connect the external optical drive to two USB slots? The drive should have come with a special USB cable for that. The two connections sustain more power to the DVD drive.

Check the drive name in Device Manager, and then reinstall the drive in Device Manager to determine if Windows is able to recognize the drive.

In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

Double-click DVD/CD-ROM drives to expand the category. ...

Right-click the drive name and then select Uninstall.