?
Lv 4
? asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 3 months ago

Could you estimate the radiative equilibrium temperature of Earth (or Mars or Venus...)?

I don't want people to do this calculation here, although I recall it has been done here before. I'm curious as to whether the so-called "skeptics" (i.e. deniers) in here could do it. This is the most basic planetary climate calculation that you can do, so if you can't do it, then pretending that you have some sort of scientific expertise that justifies your rejection of AGW is baloney.

Update:

Haha, you're right Elizabeth!

Update 2:

It's amusing that Solar Wind accuses OTHERS of using "flat earth physics", but if you look at his diagram, note that it says "Continuous Zenith System Input", that sounds about as much like "flat earth physics" as you can without saying it outright.  Also note that they're apparently considering the sun to be at the zenith even where the sun's rays are TANGENT to the Earth's surface!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    3 months ago
    Favourite answer

@Solar wind presenting his trademark funhouse mirror "physics". <<The equation the alarmists use is the average for the Earth including night time temps with no sun heating and is shown at the far right. This equates to -18 C and is flat earth physics.>>

What does it even mean? Is he arguing we should ignore half the planet when calculating the average surface temp of the whole planet? Maybe this is the next step for the flat earthers, they are becoming "half earthers"? Progress, I guess. 

I've never seen it done for Venus so did it quickly by taking Earth's radius at Venus's distance and got ~328 K (130 F), i.e. much cooler than reality. 

And that's assuming 0 albedo, which for Venus is a particularly terrible assumption.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

These sites might help.  The expose eco-fascism.  Or try HomeWork Help

Attachment image
  • 3 months ago

Daylight temperature equation for the Earth is located in the yellow top half and calculates to 30 degrees C. The equation the alarmists use is the average for the Earth including night time temps with no sun heating and is shown at the far right. This equates to their famous -18 C and is flat earth physics. It is a sleight of hand magic trick they use to prove the Greenhouse theory.

Attachment image
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The problem is, if they do it, they'll get about -18C ... then they'll claim global warming is nonsense, there's no greenhouse effect, and the Earth is obviously cooling! ;)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.