If the universe is expanding, then what's beyond the edge of the universe? What is it outside of the universe?

If the universe is pushing outward, then what is it expanding into? Nothingness? If so, what is nothingness? I can't grasp that. All I can grasp is somehtingness. I don't even know if somethingness is a real word, but I think you understand what I am saying here.  

The cake tin according to Clarke. the expanding universe is like a cake being cooked. Al the fruits are moving away from each other

• david

The distance between point A (let's say the sun) and point B (let's say Proxima Centauri) is increasing. What's more the rate of increase (expansion) is increasing. It's not the edge of the universe, but the space between. Here's a real noodle fryer. Is the space between sub atomic particles expanding at a comparable? How would we know?

This question is asked a lot on here.  Please search first.

But anyway, the answer is that the expansion of space amounts to the maximum possible distance between any two points increasing constantly.  After exceeding that distance, the directions of the points swap and the distance starts to decrease again.  This is counterintuitive but it's because the parallel postulate is based on observation rather than deduction, and whereas it seems to work on a small scale it doesn't work on a large one and in fact parallel lines meet before infinity.  Apparently parallel lines which stay the same distance apart would in fact be very large circles.  All of this shows that space is a set of relationships between locations rather than a container of those locations, and there's a complete description of how expansion works here which does not require that there is an exterior.  If such an exterior did exist, there's no guarantee that the parallel postulate would apply there either, and consequently it would be entirely possible that apparent "expansion" would in fact be contraction, which it can't be because the sky is black, meaning that objects are receding faster than light.

A mathematical model of the expanding universe does not require an outside (coordinate) ,to describe it -- just as the 2D surface of a sphere does not require an outside (coordinate) , to describe its surface  .

But philosophically ,and even physics wise -- I think most would agree with your idea of the existence of a  somethingness 

beyond the distance we have been able to observe,13,Bn light years, the age of the universe,we have no way no clue to  cognate what is beyond

Empty Space for it to expand into

• Tom

There is NO "Outside" EVERYTHING, even empty space is IN the universe.  IT is simply getting BIGGER----NO dimensions lead to the "outside" so it does not exist.

• Acetek

---------------

what is the universe expanding into

The short answer is that this is a nonsense question, the Universe isn't expanding into anything, it's just expanding. The definition of the Universe is that it contains everything. If something was outside the Universe, it would also be part of the Universe too.

The universe has no edges and it isn't expanding into anything. The big bang was not an explosion of matter into empty space. It was not a bomb. It was the origin and inflation of space itself. The distance between galaxies is simply getting bigger. The space is stretching. But it isn't embedded in an outside hyperspace. It isn't embedded in nothingness. It isn't embedded at all. In mathematics, and in reality, a manifold can curve or expand without postulating an outside region. 

I always thought the universe was simply everything that is.  So 'beyond the universe' or even 'the edge of the universe' were meaningless phrases.

But you know cosmological theory is way beyond the understanding even of cosmological theorists.  Some astrophysicists believe the universe has a distinct edge.  The Big Bang exploded and the explosion is still expanding, and beyond that is nothing.  Not even empty space, or time, or light, or gravity, if you can imagine.  (I can't).  Really nothing!

One more recent theory I've read about (but I can't explain it) holds that if you left the universe, you'd find yourself at the other end of it.  That it 'wraps around' somehow.

There are other theories that there are many universes!  That they exist in separate space, or that they all exist together in the same space.  The multiverse.  There's another one for you to think about as you drift off to sleep tonight.