Phil
Lv 6
Phil asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

if you owned a slave but treated them very well like a good friend and treated even better than yourself- was it still unforgivable?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 days ago

owning any living thing is wrong. which is why i have never "owned" a pet. all living things deserve freedom imo.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The greatest gift that humankind has is free will. It is only right to allow others to have the same privilege. 

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Master-slave is more clearly understood when "He who would be great is the servant-leader" is understood.

Then the tension between exploiter and exploited is dissolved as true labor and the servant-leader as the employee of the higher nature of those who are way-shown is realized.

Hegel's false Master is the carnal mind.  Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, is the true servant-leader who overcomes the sin-nature of his carnal mind.

Related:

The Path of the Higher Self;

The People of the Lie.'

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. Most people when they use that term nowadays are using it in a sexual context. Slavery is no more. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Raja
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Good things are appreciable. They cannot be sin but slavery is forbidden.

• 1 month ago

It’s an interesting question.  I like the historical context insight argument popping up, but wonder if then by that argument, leading Jews to their death, is acceptable.   I’d hope not. 

Where do we draw the line?  I say slavery was wrong even if it economically built the South. Even if people justified it.  There were abolitionists who agreed with my viewpoint back then. 

I think it was wrong to beat women even though they were seen as property.pretty much, Jesus of Nazareth had arguments that protected women in his context.

So forgivable by who—the slave?  Not unless they don't desire freedom.   

Forgivable by God?  What would Jesus say?  He’s probably tell you to let go of your possessions and follow Him because your wealthy and that was His suggestion.  

In some Christian denominations, “By grace we are saved, not by our own works.  But faith is how we return the love. So being faithful would mean letting go of the slaves—not just being kind. 

Forgiveness-that’s God’s in this line of thinking.  

• Hayley
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You are still owning someone at the end of the day and that is wrong. People deserve freedom.

• 1 month ago

Well, it is up to each individual man and woman to forgive anything. That aside, if you're referring to the days in which the ignorant country we're in was okay with slavery, then if someone took someone in involuntarily.  In that scenario , if someone treated someone awesomely to keep them from having to go someplace else but made it so that their whole household including that person did equal work and had a good house as well for the person at the same time fought against slavery. Then it's forgivable because they were just doing their best to help someone else. However, slavery that is involuntary is wrong. A lot of people slight the Bible because it mention slavery. Slavery in biblical times was voluntary and it was because the person owed a debt to someone. I just thought I'd add that in there because many people aren't aware of that. Also, during that time people were told to be put in jail if they harmed their voluntary slave in any way.

The people who were forced into slavery in this country were sold against their will by their own country to build Empire. Both actions were evil.  The buying and selling.

• 1 month ago

“Charity is no substitute for justice withheld,” Saint Augustine 

In other words, you do no good to another person that you don't act justly towards FIRST

• 1 month ago

Need context as to where that would be considered unforgiveable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.