Did they have thrift shops and sell day old baked goods in 1950 and people got a great discount like they do now in 2020?

• RICK

Yup

Best was when you bought a dozen donuts you got a free one,  called a bakers dozen

• denise

Probably,  I remember  when I was a kid, shopping with my mum [I was born in 1957] We went to the bakers and they sold day old cakes that were cheaper. Also you got a 'bakers dozen' [thirteen] buns when you bought a 'dozen'.

We used to go to 'charity shops' [second hand goods] too.

Yes. Even better, the ripped up denim jeans only cost $1, unlike the $100 - $200 now in department stores. {But day-old bread and pastries could be a little dry and stale.} - {I was alive in the 1950's.}

I don't know about the 50s but in the  late 70s, I knew two people who worked part-time at different bakeries.  The employees got to take home the unsold baked items.  I was offered some donuts and croissants on occasion.  I loved the croissants.

What is your obsession with 1950?  STOP TROLLING.