Was $10 a lot of money in 1950?

i could buy a huge hamburger for .10

$10 in 1950 would be about the same as $108 in 2020.

The term 'a lot' is relative.

In 1950, I was a 9 year old kid and $10 would have bought me about 200 candy bars. I would have felt rich at that age. If I were an adult, I could have paid all or most of a month's rent on a cheap apartment so I wouldn't feel very rich.

• RICK

No it was not a lot of money but you could do lot with it

By the way Elaine the average cost of a new car in 1960 was over $2400, in 1950 it was over $1500

John, I made more money from investments during the Carter than any other 4 year span before or since

• John

$5 was good money in 1970. You could get drunk, eat a steak dinner and play cool games of pool. Spot me five. Fast forward to 1976, the Jimmy Carter years, the horror.

• Judith

Consider that in 1950 the maximum income taxed by social security was $3000 because that was considered to be a large amount of money at the time and compare it to today where the maximum income is $137,700.  $10 in 1950 is the equivalent of $108 in 2020 dollars.

It wasn't really a lot of money (it's all relative, isn't it?) but it had the buying power of $108 today.

Doesn't matter, money always be money.

In the 50's money can buy a dinner with your whole Family and the Dollar Machine never made more THAN the concept of the economy can make.

All comes to the BS with Nixon that put together the OPEP values with The Dollar, letting to the United States government make more money than the whole Nation can make.

Now we all are stock with an over value green paper. In 2008 durant the inmobiliare crash, over over over value market, i house that cost to make it only 60,000 the bank blows the prices in a 300% of his true value, creating a bubble that NOBODY can paid and bitsches, Democrats or Republicans believe banks are RIGHT like today in 2020, the central Bank don't Charge interests due the Pandemic, Banks works with the concept that this money belong to them or is part of the profits and Banks haven't stop to collect the mortgage with 2019 interests and the gov can do SCHIT about even when the Federal Bank is working different due our actual situation.

10 dollars in the 50's is like 100 bucks in 2020 but the economic Rules have changed for the Banks favor only, the rest of us have to paid the price.

Another bubble is Coming and The Bank would have to give a step back, but depends on the idiocracy of our governors.

Economic Natural Law, nobody can make 10 dollars with two fries eggs that somebody give as a credit, regardless that if you don't ate those two eggs they can have two chicken and sell it for 5 dollars each, BUT THE ACTUAL BANKS it is what they are doing right now, they are charging you the price of two chicken from two fries eggs.

No.  But a million bucks sure was.

Yes.  In 1960 a brand new Chevy was $500.  Bread was 12 cents a loaf. You probably took home less than $40 a week in pay back in 1950.

report the troll. Obsessed with 1950.