Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Is it true that the longer you live, the stronger is the gravitational pull you experience?

• garry

no , gravity doesnt vary , stay the same all you life but your body changes ..

Only if you gain weight.

No

At my age my knees just get wonky

• neb

I suspect you are actually asking about gravitational time dilation. So, if you live in a strong gravitational, you will live longer than someone in a weak gravitational field (it’s relative). The effect is miniscule for planetary and solar gravitational fields, but becomes very large near a black hole.

It’s probably better to say age at a slower rate in a strong gravitational field compared to weak. However, your lifespan according to you as recorded by your watch will be the same regardless of gravitational field.

Well, it may seem that way, but... I think that's just age.  Gravity's strength depends on the mass; Earth's mass doesn't change significantly enough to feel, but *your* mass might... (Since COVID hit, mine certainly has...) 

Actually -- it's the fatter you become, the stronger is the gravitational pull you experience .

When you're older , the gravitational force on you doesn't change , you just find it more difficult to resist .

• J P

It's more about the muscles' diminishing ability to push my /-\$$ up, I think.

• ANDY

As we age, the time we will have spent on Earth is much longer than, say, a twenty-year-old person. Gravity is always pulling us down towards the center of the Earth. So in time, the thickness of the disks between the vertebrae will decrease, albeit so little but having many of them could account for a couple of centimeters or more. So eventually you are shorter when you get old, but actually you don't realize it until you measure your height.

This is one way to say that the longer you live, the "more" the gravitational pull will have affected you during the years.

• No, the gravity force is always constant

I didn’t experience gravitational pull when I fell hard down the steps last night. It doesn’t exist.