niamh asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How can i train my brain to stop coming up with really negative thoughts?

Hi :) i am only 21 but i have severe generalised anxiety. If anyone else suffers this please help! I tend to overthink a lot and read into things too much. I worry about everything but when i feel like i have upset someone my brain goes into overdrive. I feel uncertain and guilty and like the other person wants nothing more to do with me and all kinds of bad **** like that. It won't shut off and the negative thoughts just won't stop. I can get into a positive mindset, coming up with positive possibilities and writing down my thoughts on paper helps to clear my head. But when a new negative thought pops up I'm back to square one. Deep down i know these thoughts are in my head. Cos when i write them down i can look at them more logically. But how do i stop my brain coming up with new bad thoughts? Thank you :)

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Have faith in God. Never stop praying. Let us rise up and be thankful. When your heart is overwhelmed, God will restore the joy of your salvation. He will carry you strengthen you and guide you

when I'm down i draw and paint...even tho it looks like a 5-year-old scribbles it helps a lot

• bj_dj

Watch eckart tolly on you tube

Yeah, it sounds like it's based in your subconscious... so meditation and dealing with whatever caused it would be a good bet. CBT could be helpful too.

Jesus said in John 10:ewe are all Gods . Subconsciously we are positive .

Control of mind is possible only through practice of meditation,You must find out the best place to learn it in your locality and join  there.

Eat a lot of bananas.

It'll soothe you and keep you peppy...constipated maybe but more spirited.

I've been going through this for over 10 years now. It got worse over the past 2 years. I kept remembering things I had done wrong - but the memory was exaggerated! I analysed  each instance to realise many times what I said was in reaction to what someone had said to me! If not - who is to say you said something to upset someone? Surely the onus is on them - if they're 'upset/offended' - to tell you, so you can apologise/explain yourself? It's not all on you. Things that I 'did' were actually things someone did to me! The memory can play tricks like that. I saw a movie recently that gave me an idea I am going to adopt. On scraps of paper, write down something you have done/said/that was said to you (POSITIVE!) . With all that's going on in your head, this may take a few days to drum up these memories. As each comes, write it down. Then put these bits of paper into a container and draw one out every day - or when you need a positive thought. I agree with anon. I also say fkk off when the thoughts come. I think it's the action of doing this that breaks the thought pattern - and works!

i count to 100

you do same

Well the first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem which you have so that's good! You've actually made progress already by putting pen to paper. The two anonymous answers are bang on with what they say. A suggestion i have is meditation. When things get on top of you and you feel like you can't breathe, about to have a panic attack or just feel really overwhelmed in general, do some deep breathing. In then out. That helps to clear your head as well. Good luck! :)